Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #1

shutter closed in sensor cleaning mode

I have the *ist Ds and have been very happy with it over the years. Recently I have found dust spots on images and am attempting to blow them off the CCD. I have put the camera in the 'sensor cleaning mode' and the mirror goes up but the shutter remains closed.

Should hte shutter be closed? How do I open it to get to teh CCD?

Any help would be welcome.

05-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't want to insult your intelligence, but first let's make sure whether the shutter is really opening or not. Put the camera in "B" mode and with the lens removed look into the camera while you press the shutter button. Hold it down for a second. What you see will be the CCD.

If that is the same thing you see in sensor cleaning mode, then the shutter is opening.

If it is not, then there is indeed a problem with your camera.
05-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for the reply.

Have done what you suggested and the shutter is still down. I am fairly sure that what I am seeing is the shutter and not the CCD. Certainly does not look like the photos of the CCD that I have seen elsewere.

Apart from this the camera has no problems and functions fine.
05-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Only thing I can suggest is to take it a camera shop where you can compare it to another camera, or see if you can take a picture of what you are seeing and post if here. Should be a simple matter for anyone who has seen the inside of a normal camera to compare with yours.

05-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Dear Mike and Marc

After setting the camera on 'B' mode and pressing the shutter button for around the rth time the shutter finally released and there was the CCD.

Repeated the process, finally got the shutter open and was able to get the blower and dislodge the dust whilst holding the shutter button down. Nice clean shots now.

The shutter still remains firmly shut when using the proper 'sensor cleaning' funtion but this seems to be a 'work round' the present problem.

Apart from this problem the camera is fine and there are no signs of any other problems with the shutter.

Many thanks for your help, particularly to Mike since I did not know about the 'B' mode option and this got me most of the way there.
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would have the camera checked just in case this minor problem becomes a major problem later on.
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boywithbeetles Quote
Repeated the process, finally got the shutter open and was able to get the blower and dislodge the dust whilst holding the shutter button down. Nice clean shots now.

Glad it worked out for you but take care that you don't damage anything--you wouldn't want the mirror to snap shut while the nozzle of your blower is poking in there.