Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #1

K200d - Expanding dynamic range

I know what is dynamic range, but I would appreciate a few precisions and comments concerning this functionality, which is not really documented in the operating manual.
Of course, I will test it myself but I would like to have the opinions of more knowledgeable users.
- how does it work? how does it expand the light level expressed by the CCD pixels (p. 84 of the english version)?
- does it work with raw files?
- is it as good or better than bracketing and joining files in post-prod?
- what % value is best?
- is there a negative side to using this feature?
- can we leave it on all the time?
- do you use it?
- etc.
Thanks

05-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Tedi Quote
I know what is dynamic range, but I would appreciate a few precisions and comments concerning this functionality, which is not really documented in the operating manual.
QuoteQuote:
- how does it work? how does it expand the light level expressed by the CCD pixels (p. 84 of the english version)?
It essentially underexposes with a 1 stop lower ISO to keep highlights from clipping, and boosts the shadows appropriately when creating JPEGs.
QuoteQuote:
- does it work with raw files?
Yes, the RAW data is underexposed too. RAW converters that don't know to look for the EDR tag will process the files as being dark by default.
QuoteQuote:
- is it as good or better than bracketing and joining files in post-prod?
No, if your scene is such that you can do bracketing and exposure blending, that will yield better results.
QuoteQuote:
- what % value is best?
% of what? EDR is on/off in the ISO menu...
QuoteQuote:
- is there a negative side to using this feature?
Increased noise in shadows, since they have to be pushed back up to the desired exposure.
QuoteQuote:
- can we leave it on all the time?
- do you use it?
I tend to turn it on or off depending on the scene and whether I expect to be using the camera's JPEGs or not. Sometimes I shoot expecting to process RAWs in certain ways, in which case I don't use EDR as it just gets in the way of my own exposure control. I generally only use it if my scene is bright; low-light images are difficult enough without having EDR mess with my shadows. An example of when I might use it is a sunlit scene with something interesting directly in a shadow, like a dark-colored pet.
05-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's pretty much the same result you get when shooting RAW, ISO >= 200 and using fill light and highlight recovery.