Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

After much consideration I decided to buy the K20D

I was going to go all out and spend the money on the k-7, but I figured since Im a beginner the K20D would serve me just fine. Since new ones can be found for about $670, I thought I might get lucky and find a used one for under $500.

Is there an easy way to tell the shutter actuations? can this number be altered with a hack or something? After what count would you say you should consider not buying a used DSLR?

cheers

05-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the difference between a new K20D and a used one is $500 or $670 you might just as well go for the new one in my opinion.
05-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
I was going to go all out and spend the money on the k-7, but I figured since Im a beginner the K20D would serve me just fine. Since new ones can be found for about $670, I thought I might get lucky and find a used one for under $500.

Is there an easy way to tell the shutter actuations? can this number be altered with a hack or something? After what count would you say you should consider not buying a used DSLR?

cheers
Smart move on the choice of the K20. Since it's running about half the price of the preorder K7, then that means more money towards building a quality lens collection.

Buying used is usually a safe bet, provided that your seller is a trusted one. My top choices for buying used gear are the Marketplace here and shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=889257&u=523490&m=66875&urllink=keh.com. With the Marketplace, you have the advantage of a smaller community of users (unlike Fleabay), meaning greater accountability, as well as the ability to view a potential user's feedback ratings and comments. Most people price their gear reasonably and are also willing to bargain, meaning an even better deal for you. Just in case you aren't aware of KEH, they're a camera dealer of both new and (mostly) used gear based in Atlanta. I have dealt with them several times. Their service is excellent (both ordering and returns) and the condition ratings that they put on their gear are accurate, if not a bit conservative.

As far as shutter actuations, you can look at them like you would the number of miles on a car's odometer. The camera with less shutter clicks will naturally cost more than one with more clicks. Most people that have been around here for any length of time will often include the actual or approximate number of clicks in their listing when they advertise a body for sale. To determine the actual number of clicks, there's a program called PhotoMe that can do the job.

BTW, with a less than $200 difference between a new K20 and a used one, I would advise you to go with the new one, as you'll get the warranty that will cover any functional issues that might come up within the first year.

HTH,
Heather
05-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
New or used? 3 year warranty

As a prospective buyer of a k20d, I'd also lean towards new vs. used. If you buy from a Pentax dealer, they've extended the warranty to three years instead of one.
See below...

"And those of you who have purchased already, or are planning to purchase a Pentax K20D from an authorized USA dealer, you get a total three-year warranty (one year standard plus two years extended) included with your purchase. The typical warranty is one year. The extended warranty promotion ends on July 31st, 2009."

Pentax K20D at $670 (and three year warranty included) at Camera Deals

05-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenhreed Quote
As a prospective buyer of a k20d, I'd also lean towards new vs. used. If you buy from a Pentax dealer, they've extended the warranty to three years instead of one.
See below...

"And those of you who have purchased already, or are planning to purchase a Pentax K20D from an authorized USA dealer, you get a total three-year warranty (one year standard plus two years extended) included with your purchase. The typical warranty is one year. The extended warranty promotion ends on July 31st, 2009."

Pentax K20D at $670 (and three year warranty included) at Camera Deals
after the camera I was looking at on ebay fetched over $600 with shipping I realized that its pointless to go used ... you make a very strong point, I forgot about that warranty deal.
05-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or buying used from a reputable dealer (KEH, Adorama, B&W) is just as good.
05-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

..or factory refurbished if there are any.
They would have the price of a "used" one but the warrranty of a "brand new" one.