Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #1

Question: How can I use LCD as Viewfinder?

Hi All!

I am very new to DSLR photography! I just bought a K-m yesterday!
But i encountered a BIG problem!

I dont know how to use the LCD as viewfinder. I dont plan to use it all the time, but sometimes it's not possible to use the viewfinder...

I heard it's not possible, but is there a possible hack?
Or what would you guys do when you cant reach certain angle to take a photo?

thanks!
Alan

05-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That feature is know as "Live View" and the K-m does not have it.
You should have bought a K-7!
05-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

If I absolutely cannot get to the viewfinder I usually cannot see the lcd either. In those few cases I usually just use a wide angle and crop the picture down to what I need.
05-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

If Live view's a feature you really wanted to have, the K20D or (when it's released) the K-7 are more appropriate.

Unfortunately, there isn't a 'hack' to make the K-m have Live View.

05-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
k-7!!
=(
Hmmmmm...
if live-view is the feature... so all sony dslr has this then? I think thats what they all boast?

and... how can i feel more comfortable looking into the viewfinder? i have retina problem with one of my eye.
05-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

No not all Sony's have this feature either. I just looked over the A700 which is one of their better cameras and it's not a listed feature. Live View is a new feature to DSLR's even though it's common on Point and Shoot type cameras. It has to do with the design of the 2 camera types and that a DSLR has a mirror inside which a P&S doesn't have.

You might want to get a K-7 when it's released in July or try shooting with the other eye.
05-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
K-7 is expensive tho... =(
WHY... =(
that makes the world of dslr way less interesting.
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #8

A bridge camera may be of more interest for you then like the x70 or any other sold by the major makers. In the future you probably should research the camera before you buy it.

05-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
I just saw the sony Alpha-330. Seems to have has everything I wanted, anyone would like to compare with Pentax Km?
I am primarily attracted to K-m's technical aspects.
I do feel Pentax is a good choice except that function that i needed for my eye..=(
05-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you'll be using Live view more often than you say you will.
You might take heed of the advice to get a bridge camera, which you won't need to invest into any lenses, but will give you all the features you want in a compact camera.

Otherwise you're looking at changing your K-m to a K20D or K-7 if you want to stay with Pentax.
Live view just isn't the reason one would go for a dSLR.
05-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
k-7!!
=(
Hmmmmm...
if live-view is the feature... so all sony dslr has this then? I think thats what they all boast?

and... how can i feel more comfortable looking into the viewfinder? i have retina problem with one of my eye.

Suggestion: Use the other eye. With digital SLRs, this is usually not so awkward.

Live view is an occasionally-handy thing, but it's really not the central specification of a serious camera, by any means. The K20 does have this feature, but only in a form where it is most useful without compromising anything else: basically, tripod work.

It's also very left-eye friendly, and there you get a real optical viewfinder with no electronic lag in the way.

If you find yourself live-view dependent cause of health problems, you may want to look at a non-SLR camera, at this point, or handle things in person till you find something. But with digitals that leave you room, well, there's no rewind lever to jab lefties in the eye, so, just use the other one. If your right eye's going bad, you'll want to learn to shift your eye dominance anyway.

My sister's got stuff like this going on. If it's very bad, there may be no advantage to using an SLR at all. but an LCD may not help either.

Try these things on in person. If you can't see through an optical viewfinder, why do you want a true SLR? You'll have to figure it out. I think plenty of us here would be happy to help.

But try the other eye. People do use em, you know.

(Come to think of it, mind you, the K-M is a little camera. It's possible that the bigger models might just be more comfortable for using the good eye, but even with the smallest things, it's doable. At this point in technology, there is no real substitute for an optical viewfinder, but things might just be getting there soon. Hang in there. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-25-2009 at 12:02 AM.
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
thanks for your comments guys. I realize I would have to return Pentax as much as i would love to keep it.
And thanks for all your understanding.
I enjoyed the 300 or so photo i took with the k-m. Pentax can take beautiful pictures.
I do love the potential choice of lens pentax offer.

Maybe i have to stuck with a bridge camera until they have the feature. =)
05-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe this would be better: X70 Super Zoom Digital Camera - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
It has that SLR feel and settings with the bridge camera setup and a very long lens that you can manually focus (big plus). Then in a year or 2 pick up a DSLR with liveview as the prices come down. Maybe a used K-7 when it's discontinued.
05-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Damn Brit

Use the other eye.
05-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do love the potential choice of lens pentax offer.
Maybe i have to stuck with a bridge camera until they have the feature. =)
Do you have something against the K20D? It has live view, it is a Pentax, it is only slightly more expensive than the KM, and it uses (drum roll................................) Pentax lenses.