Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

m42 adapter

Simple question but could not find the answer I was looking for after searching. Can I install a genuine pentax m42 adapter in my k200d and just leave it there. I will be switching between m42 primes and newer k mount lenses. I would prefer not to have to install the ring each time I switch lenses.

Thanks for the help. I have learned much from this forum.

Jason

05-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, the adapter must be removed whenever a lens other than an M42 is mounted. I have the same problem, & have solved it by acquiring a second body to use as a dedicated M42 camera.
05-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jasonz Quote
Simple question but could not find the answer I was looking for after searching. Can I install a genuine pentax m42 adapter in my k200d and just leave it there. I will be switching between m42 primes and newer k mount lenses. I would prefer not to have to install the ring each time I switch lenses.

Thanks for the help. I have learned much from this forum.

Jason
To use the adapter you screw it onto the lens, then bayonet the lens+adapter to the K-mount. To remove the lens you have to unscrew it while the adapter is on the body. You can of course screw/unscrew as many times as you like, but if you want to fit a K-mount lens you need to take the adapter off. It is held in place with a small spring, NOT the lens release button.

I believe some people have taken the locking spring off the adapter and glued the adapter to their lenses. While this make switching M42/K-mount lenses much easier, I am not sure how secure the arrangement is. There will be nothing to stop the lens and mount from turning when you twist the focus/aperture.
05-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!

Jason

05-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
To use the adapter you screw it onto the lens, then bayonet the lens+adapter to the K-mount.
That's one way of doing it. But the adapter can also be attached to the body first (I believe that is the way the Pentax instructions read as well). It really doesn't matter which way it is done, I just thought I'd mention that there is another way of doing it.

I use Takumars so much that having the adapter mounted is my default configuration. I think of the adapter as something I have to remove on those rare occasions I want to use a K-mount lens, rather than as something I have to install in order to use M42 lenses.

I'm still waiting for Pentax to come out with a no-frills DSLR incorporating the open-aperture metering mount from the days of the Spotmatic F/ES/ESII. I'm not silly enough to hold my breath while I wait, though.
05-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

I'm still waiting for Pentax to come out with a no-frills DSLR incorporating the open-aperture metering mount from the days of the Spotmatic F/ES/ESII. I'm not silly enough to hold my breath while I wait, though.
Add me to that wishful waiting list!
05-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Add me to that wishful waiting list!
And me.

Since the clips are weak (i've had several official Pentax adapters break over the years), every M42 lens that is in my bag gets their own adapter permanently screwed to the lens mount with the small clip removed so that they now act like K mount lenses.

I have found that the "copies" (mine are mainly of the Kood brand) are actually better for this purpose than the original Asahi adapter since they have a fraction tighter fit and keep the lens in place better.

05-25-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Non-Pentax adapters are a reasonably priced alternative if you intend to remove the spring & leave the adapters on lenses.

The main difficulty is that such adapters can sometimes be over-rotated when mounted and make straightening things out a chore - not impossible, just time consuming.

This problem can be easily prevented one way or another.
(1) Be sure the adapter "ears" nearest the red dot do not have a rounded fillet. Use a little file to square the junction. Original "Pentax" adapter on left:

(2) Drill an indent in the lens base so it'll be held in place by the camera's locking pin.
- mount the lens & put a pencil mark on it where the locking pin hits the base. Drill there.

Of these alternatives, I prefer (2) as it firmly locks the lens in place so it will neither over-rotate nor fall off. This is true for both genuine Pentax adapters and knock-offs.

Iowa Dave

PS I don't recommend gluing the adapter threads to the lens. It'll stay in place with friction and someday you may want to remove it.
05-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #9

I've never had an over rotation problem..yet. Mine are mainly of the Kood brand as i said above.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I don't recommend gluing the adapter threads to the lens. It'll stay in place with friction and someday you may want to remove it.
Agreed, i never understand people gluing the adapter but i dont get cutting/drilling notches either. The lens always stays in place fine without for me.
05-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlpenTak Quote
I've never had an over rotation problem..yet. Mine are mainly of the Kood brand as i said above.

Agreed, i never understand people gluing the adapter but i dont get cutting/drilling notches either. The lens always stays in place fine without for me.
I've rarely had such problems either - but I have been able to duplicate them by forcing things. In any event they are not the end of the world.

But many have reported such problems & I gave solutions I've demonstrated will work. There are *many* users who want fail-safe equipment.

These forums are rife with admonitions to buy only genuine Pentax adapters as they are immune from the problems described (they are not immune.) There are simple fixes if one experiences problems.

Iowa Dave