Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question About Nikon Flash As Slave?

Hi all,

I have a Pentax K10D with an AF360FGZ. Yesterday I was outside doing some flash photography with a friend and I had my 360 set up on a tripod and had it set in wireless mode being triggered by my in camera flash.

My friend uses Nikon equipment and had with him a SB-600 flash. We wanted to setup a 2 flash system, but were not able to get it to work.

Both flashes were in the same channel, but the 360 would go off while the SB-600 would not.

Is this a compatibility issue? Can we even get something like this to work? I can't imagine why not, but we never ended up getting it to work.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

05-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I seriously doubt that you can make the SB-600 to work with the AF360FGZ.

"The same channel" doesn't mean much. What Pentax calls channel 1 can be channel 3 in Nikon's language.

Even when they use the exact same channel (or the same frequency), the "languages" are totally different.
05-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could put the 360 in dumb optical slave mode and I think that you can put the 600 in the same mode too. The problem is you then need to use a flash that is just a manual flash to trigger the other flashes. If you are using the K10D onboard flash it will normally only use P-TTL control and that will send out a P-TTL control flash that will trigger the other 2 flashes early. You could use one of the 2 flashes (or some other flash) as the trigger or if you use a lens on the K10D that is a non-A or A off A then the camera will put out just 1 full power flash that will trigger the other flashes.

DAZ
05-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

...or you can buy some radio triggers from ebay, they handle the trick pretty well. You might want to read into strobist's "lighting 101".

05-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Umm, how do you put the 360 in optical slave mode? Never noticed that function but it could come in handy from time to time.
05-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Umm, how do you put the 360 in optical slave mode? Never noticed that function but it could come in handy from time to time.
When you are in wireless slave mode this is optical. If I remember the flash comes in slave mode 1 and this is P-TTL trigger control. When the flash is put in slave mode 2 then it is just a dumb optical triggered slave either auto or manual. I will have to go home tonight and read the manual to get the exact buttons to push to change the modes.

DAZ
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, the normal wireless TTL mode I'm aware of but I didn't know the 360 could trigger by a flash. I moved a couple of months back and I have no clue to the whereabouts of my manual. Would be real cool if you could look it up!
05-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
DAZ
Veteran Member

Yeah, the normal wireless TTL mode I'm aware of but I didn't know the 360 could trigger by a flash. I moved a couple of months back and I have no clue to the whereabouts of my manual. Would be real cool if you could look it up!
I can look it up for you when I get home tonight. I can also teach you to fish. If you would like you can down load the manual here http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/manuals-and-literature/. So now you can look it up your self if you don’t want to wait for me. If you would still like me to look it up no problem but if you find it your self before I get there please let me know.

DAZ

Edit: I see in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/61442-k100d-super-af-340-fgz.html someone answered how the change slave modes.

Last edited by DAZ; 05-27-2009 at 09:08 AM.
05-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Darn! I just made myself temporarily blind finding out for myself how to set it to "dumb slave". Found it on page 49. Thanks for the help!
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
DAZ
Veteran Member

Darn! I just made myself temporarily blind finding out for myself how to set it to "dumb slave". Found it on page 49. Thanks for the help!
LOL! Been there done that. You’re welcome.

DAZ