Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #1

k100d super & AF 340 FGZ

Hi all, in descriptions for the AF 340 FGZ flash it says it can be triggered wirelessly by cameras on board flash. Basically how do I set this up, I've tried various modes and searched the net but can't figure it out?
Help please!

Last edited by shang_tsung; 05-25-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added wirelessly
05-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is this af360fgz or 340 maybe 540? you just need to switch the power switch in the middle position: there are three dots at the switch you choose that middle one, next if you use it as a trigger switch in the master(m) or controler (c) position - if it is suposed to be a trigerred flash u chose slave (s).
05-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think the K100D/super has wireless flash support.
K10D, K200D and K20D all have the wireless flash support.
Your flash can do wireless though only if you use it with the above cameras and not on your K100D super.
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here's a link I found that might be useful to you.
I don't have the K100D super so I don't know for sure if it has wireless support.
Just in case, here's the link on how to use the flash wether it be the 360 or the 540: Using Pentax Wireless Flash: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

05-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have the K100DS as well as the 540 flash.
Unless I am reading it wrong........the K100DS ITSELF will not trigger the remote flash wirelessly.
HOWEVER if you mount a 360/540 flash on the camera....THAT will trigger a remote flash.
At least that's my understanding from the manual.
05-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stgmgr Quote
I have the K100DS as well as the 540 flash.
Unless I am reading it wrong........the K100DS ITSELF will not trigger the remote flash wirelessly.
HOWEVER if you mount a 360/540 flash on the camera....THAT will trigger a remote flash.
At least that's my understanding from the manual.
This is definitely the case. However, the K10D (with firmware upgrade) and everything produced after the K100D Super does support using the built-in flash as a controller. (Including the K2000/K-m.)
05-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

stgmgr is right and that just sounds a bit ubsurd not unless you want to own two (2) 360 or two (2) 540 flashes or one of each (hehe), just to have wireless control.
That is the case too as mattdm would confirm, that with the K10D you would need a firmware update that makes the K10D have wireless flash support.

05-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're just using this for general purpose, I have a trick that will allow you to trigger wirelessly. Get a film canister, cut a horizontal slit along the tall side of the cylinder, just enough for the popup flash to be slid in but not slide out easily. I glue the film canister cap and cover the front of the cylinder (direction of subject) with black paper. Set exposure compensation of built in flash to -2.0. This way the flash will contribute very minimally to the exposure, but still flashes backwards somewhat.

Now turn on your AF 360 and hold the LIGHT button for three seconds. You will be to select mode 1 ('smart' flash), or mode 2 ('stupid' flash). In mode 2 the flash will trigger everytime the red part senses a flash triggered, and it will (usually) ignore the popup's preflash if you seal the film canister properly. I think this happens because the preflash is not strong enough to trigger the flash if you cover it up. You can only use this method with auto mode, and not P-TTL.

Alternatively I also use an old af-300 ftz on the camera, covered with foamcore like in the film canister method, so I can use the AF spotbeam and trigger the 360 wirelessly

Last edited by Andi Lo; 05-27-2009 at 10:09 AM.
05-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Now turn on your AF 360 and hold the LIGHT button for three seconds. You will be able to select mode 1 ('smart' flash), or mode 2 ('stupid' flash). In mode 2 the flash will trigger everytime the red part senses a flash triggered, and it will (usually) ignore the popup's preflash. You can only use this method with auto mode, and not P-TTL.

Alternatively I also use an old af-300 ftz on the camera, covered with foamcore like in the film canister method, so I can use the AF spotbeam and trigger the 360 wirelessly
So, it would just be basically a "slave" flash that would trigger each time it senses a flash being fired.
This is fine if you are the alone but if you are with other photogs who fires their flashes also, then your "slave flash" will always fire whenever somebody takes a picture with a flash.
05-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep, that's true. That's why i said "general use" It's still quite helpful.