Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Pentax training

Does Pentax or a professional using the Pentax K10D or K20D offer any classroom and/or in-field training? In the many photo mags, there seems to be training specific to Canon and Nikon--is there any for Pentax. I can't afford a cruise.

05-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What specifically do you need to learn? A DSLR works pretty much the same no matter what brand you are using. You have focal length, shutter speed, aperture, and sensor sensitivity. Some extra controls are added when using a flash. And then of course white balance which differs with different brands (the menus I mean). Field training should be pretty generic.
05-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of my college professors and a man I admire greatly, Dr. Milton Simmons (at the time Dean of Psychology at the University of Tennessee at Martin) in response to questions regarding what would or would not be on tests was fond of answering, "Learn the principles and it won't matter what question is on the test."

Same goes for photography. Learn the principles and it won't matter what brand/type of camera you use.
05-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There are several web sites with good basic information available. For example, this camera simulator lets you see how f-stop, Iso, and shutter speed relate to each other [The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com]. There are also several sites that discuss things like composition [Classroom - MorgueFile and Ron Bigelow Articles]. And we can't forget this one [The Luminous Landscape].

Let us know what you are trying to figure out and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

Tim

05-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
One of my college professors and a man I admire greatly, Dr. Milton Simmons (at the time Dean of Psychology at the University of Tennessee at Martin) in response to questions regarding what would or would not be on tests was fond of answering, "Learn the principles and it won't matter what question is on the test."

Same goes for photography. Learn the principles and it won't matter what brand/type of camera you use.
I remember my high school shop teacher taught us something similar. "Learn how a machine works and you will be able to troubleshoot and repair it no matter what brand it is." A very valuable lesson.

All cameras do the same thing so any photography class should teach you what you need to know about exposure, composition, etc. Any bookstore will have plenty of books on the subject. Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" would be a good start.
05-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I doubt you'll find much that is Pentax-specific because the market for that is probably just not there. However, many workshops should be pretty brand-neutral. Make sure that you at least know the controls of your camera though--even if you don't always know when to use them--because it's likely that your instructor probably won't. :-)