Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Yellow/green images

My boyfriend and I just recently purchased the K20D. Our first DSLR.
Have some issues and not sure if it's the flash with improper settings or the camera. It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday so we went out walking through an open field and hung out for a bit to take some pics....I'm not sure of the setting since I wasn't taking the pics that moment...Anyway, he did not change any settings and was shooting pretty continuously. Once we reviewed the pics it was very disappointing with the off color.
Some came out ok and then others had this horrible tint. We were using the 540 instead of camera flash.
I guess my question is, Is this familiar to anyone and hopefully if so, what did we do wrong and how can it be corrected? It is too inconsistent.....
The camera is about to go back unless we can figure things out better.

Thanks for any help!

Mickie

Attached Images

05-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'd say you should check the White Balance setting in the fn menu button..
the camera has to know what kind of light it is if it is daylight or Tungsten or fluorescent or other..
that's what I think is bothering you.. my 2 pennies.
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Damn Brit

You mentioned the flash, were you using it?
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

My initial thought was the white balance as well.

05-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The first example appears to use no flash (no catch light in the eyes) while the second does. My guess is the white balance was set to auto and defaulted to "Flash" when the flash was used. I believe you will need to manually select "Daylight" to get consistent results.
05-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You mentioned the flash, were you using it?
Yes, flash was used..just not sure of the setting.
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
The first example appears to use no flash (no catch light in the eyes) while the second does. My guess is the white balance was set to auto and defaulted to "Flash" when the flash was used. I believe you will need to manually select "Daylight" to get consistent results.
That would make sense because I did notice that the flash didn't go off for every shot...ty

05-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Use flash in bright sunshine and that's what you are going to get. The only time you would probably want to use flash in those conditions is if the subject is lit from behind and then you would only use fill flash.
I recommend a good read of the manual.
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you could upload the pictures with the EXIF information intact that would help finding the problem.

The second shot with flash: It is overexposed a bit, perhaps the flash was too close. The minimum distance is 70cm, about 2.5 feet.

I have good results outdoors with auto white balance, and custom function 11 (White Balance when using flash) set to "unchanged" (the factory default).
05-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to me (as others said) that your white balance setting is off. I would dare to say it was set to "shade" instead of "daylight" or "auto".

I've noticed before (with my K20D) that when using "shade" or "overcast" white balance, it gives an unpleasant yellow cast overall. I rather stick to "daylight" then tweak in postprocessing.