Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What have i done wrong..

I fitted an A lens for some shooting today, and i have the aperture ring set in the menu , which i did from day 1, but today, i cant seem to change the Ap with the E wheel anymore

Maybe i have accidently changed something without realising it, but what would it be ?

05-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check to make sure the lens aperture ring is firmly in the "A" position
05-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Check ..

Locked in nicely
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Try cleaning the contacts.
Do you have the battery grip, sometimes the switch on that can cause problems, it can get left between off and on.

05-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Try cleaning the contacts.
Do you have the battery grip, sometimes the switch on that can cause problems, it can get left between off and on.
The focus selector switch can also cause this grief if it's between settings, as can the AF switch.
05-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Sounds stupid, but maybe you accidentally changed what function your e-dials are assigned to? Also, they might have different settings between Av, Tv, P, and etc. modes - check your custom settings. I usually set e-dials same way in all modes - rear for aperture, front for shutter speed, or else it gets confusing...
05-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all - checked everything you all said, and it may be contacts on the lens itself.

I swapped it over for one of my other A lenses, and everything is ok. Put this other A lens back on, and the ability to change Aps has disappeared again, so it must be the lens ?

I'll try cleaning the mating surface and contacts i guess
05-27-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, cleaned contacts on the lens, but noticed that the 2 little " ball bearings " for want of a better word, that push down and spring up, seem to be sitting rather low. I think its actually level or even slightly below the mating surface.

Could this cause the problem ?

If it is, it means i have to remove the contact plate and push them back out ? There's 4 screws to do this, but would i have to remove anything else first ?

I dont like the look of this really

05-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Ok, cleaned contacts on the lens, but noticed that the 2 little " ball bearings " for want of a better word, that push down and spring up, seem to be sitting rather low. I think its actually level or even slightly below the mating surface.

Could this cause the problem ?

If it is, it means i have to remove the contact plate and push them back out ? There's 4 screws to do this, but would i have to remove anything else first ?

I dont like the look of this really
The contacts should be sitting about 1mm above the mount surface. It's possible that the spring steel arms that hold them in place have gotten loose - you may be able to tighten them a little after removing the mount from the lens. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix, really.
05-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i've opened the lens up and 2 ittle bits fell out ! One of which was the button that locks the Ap ring in the A position. The other bit - havent a clue.

Put everything back together, and although the Ap ring no longer has a ' click ' as you pass each Ap number or a lock to keep it in the A position, it still works fine, but still no Electronic Ap adjustment within the camera.

The Ap ring is now one smooth movement like the focus ring, but its not a big deal. It all still works fine
05-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Well i've opened the lens up and 2 ittle bits fell out ! One of which was the button that locks the Ap ring in the A position. The other bit - havent a clue.

Put everything back together, and although the Ap ring no longer has a ' click ' as you pass each Ap number or a lock to keep it in the A position, it still works fine, but still no Electronic Ap adjustment within the camera.

The Ap ring is now one smooth movement like the focus ring, but its not a big deal. It all still works fine
I remember I read something before where ppl say that there is a small sphere kinda thing in the AP ring, which it do the lock and 'click'. so maybe you miss that little piece there when u open the lens.
05-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah its gone somewhere - but no matter. The lens still works ok, just cant use Ap control within camera. Manual ap change only from now on.