Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
regarding Pentax 50MM Primes

hello Pentaxians. I'm new here and I'm a new Pentax advocate. first I would like to say that I'm looking forward to

buying the K-7 and I'm building up my arsenal of prime lenses, lol.

I know it may had been discussed here before but I would like to know and seek your help regarding some of the

lenses that I want to buy.

now, the lenses that caught my attention are the 50mm's for my portraiture shots. now, I had already bought and have

an FA 1.7 (for much better IQ and sharpness at wide openings) in my arsenal and I'm wondering of whether I would

still get either a FA 1.4 or an A 1.2 (not 1:2). I considered that thought of getting a much wider opening because

of the Bokeh. also I saw some shots of the A 1.2 which were surreal or somewhat like a painting in appearance.

now the questions that are bugging me are, will the FA 1.7 be enough? will it be able to produce excellent Bokeh

same as the FA 1.4 ? is the FA 1.4 be able to produce surreal painting-like images as that of the A 1.2? is the A

1.2 half-stop advantage worth of spending much moolah as to getting the FA 1.4 for less? or would the FA 1.7 be able

to carry all those uniqueness that those 2 lenses have? or would I need one more?

05-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The short answer is no. You won't get the "dreamy" bokeh of the 50/1.4, let alone the 1.2. If you like that kind of DoF, then you should consider the faster lenses.

Since AF @ wide open using a 1.4 lens can be super tricky, forcing you to MF anyway, I would suggest you try out the old manual focus 50/1.4 lenses (e.g., Super-Takumar 50/1.4). Much cheaper, just as good (if not better, according to some) IQ.

A 50/1.2, I can't say much about as I haven't had the pleasure of handling one yet, but I do have a Zuiko 50/1.2 that I use on my 5D, and, partly because of the full-frame-ness of the 5D, it is again, one step above and beyond the Super-Tak 50/1.4 regarding bokeh (and concurrent shallow DoF).
05-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 1.4 is not much different from the 1.7 (I doubt that you can see the difference in practical use), whereas the 1.2 is one full stop faster than the 1.7 and has a softer rendering. So if you want to add another 50mm lens, I'd say you should go for the A 1.2. It has 9 aperture blades which is important for the bokeh (the more the better). The K 1.2 has 8 blades and, worse, there are metering issues with the K lenses on the K10D and K20D. Maybe that's fixed on the K-7, but why take the chance?
05-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is what seems to be the definitive challenge of 50's the Normal Lens Shootout Photo Gallery

M-A-FA-50/1.7 are said to be optimized for center sharpness (M50/1.7 is building a cult following)
M-A-FA-50/1.4 are said to be optimal for bokeh (in the reasonable price range)

Super Tak is sharp. S-M-C / SMC are said to have better bokeh.

05-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My personal experience verifies this. I have an F 50/1.7 and Super-Tak 50/1.4, and definitely, the F is tack sharp at wide open while the Super-Tak is creamy bokeh. I don't know how easy it would be to tell them apart at the same aperture (e.g., f2.0), but the qualities of the images at wide open are, IMHO, distinguishable.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is what seems to be the definitive challenge of 50's the Normal Lens Shootout Photo Gallery

M-A-FA-50/1.7 are said to be optimized for center sharpness (M50/1.7 is building a cult following)
M-A-FA-50/1.4 are said to be optimal for bokeh (in the reasonable price range)

Super Tak is sharp. S-M-C / SMC are said to have better bokeh.
05-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you for your inputs guys. so that leads me to getting an A 1.2 then. now the question is, is there someone here who has a spare and could sell it for a bargain? of course, it should be in excellent condition. lol.