Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SEL & AF.S basically all the time. I choose the AF point nearest to where I want focus to minimize recomposing. I've gotten used to having my thumb on the 4-way selector all the time when I shoot, and I don't feel moving the point around slows my down much.

06-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 11 points add another decision tree to the AF functions, and that means a delay in the processor. Bart's post has a suggestion that makes sense - if you decouple the AF from the shutter and focus using the [AF] button, the release is not delayed when you press the shutter release, but you have control over the focus distance yourself.
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
Centre-focus, AF-C. Mainly because I find the AF-S irritating when it simply freezes or puts the whole matter of whether to take a photo up for committee.
Well, the "committee" aspect applies mroe to selecting a focus point than to using AS-S versus AF-C. but FWIW, the way I address the issue of AF-S someimes not being ready when I want it to have the OK button on my K200D (AF button on some other models) set to temporarily cancel AF. A slight movement of my thumb and I can take over and focus the thing myself.

QuoteQuote:
Sure, manual focussing is an option but is it REALLY so bad to expect a camera that comes with 11 autofocus points and two kinds of focus types and three variants would actually be able to MANAGE AUTOFOCUS reliably?
Nowhere in those specs is anything about a magic mind-reading mode. There will pretty much always be situations where no AF system in the world will be able to guess reliably *exactly* where you want to focus.
06-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
PDL
Pentaxian

Here we go again

99.999% of the time.
de-coupled AF from the shutter button (camera does NOT decide when I want to focus).
Center point focus point.
Press AF button (K20D and K10D - OK on *istDs) to force focus.
Release AF button - recompose and use manual if necessary.

Very similar to the old way of shooting with a SLR, before "they" put in computers to make decisions for you. (Granted we had TTL meters - but they were easily over ridden - no d*mn beeps either).

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

06-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
99.999% of the time.
de-coupled AF from the shutter button (camera does NOT decide when I want to focus).
Center point focus point.
Press AF button (K20D and K10D - OK on *istDs) to force focus.
Release AF button - recompose and use manual if necessary.

Very similar to the old way of shooting with a SLR, before "they" put in computers to make decisions for you. (Granted we had TTL meters - but they were easily over ridden - no d*mn beeps either).

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I shoot that way as well on both of mine. Still getting use to it, but it beats the camera trying to refocus when I recompse.

BTW I LOVE the BEEP
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Center point or manual. I've never used the AF button but I'll give it a try.

My daughter can hear the beep but I can't.
11-27-2009, 04:52 AM   #22

My point of view is that if you choose your AF point manually it is like:

1. change focus point
2. focus subject
3. recompose (AF poinst are not allways in a good position, should need more)
4. shoot

In some cases I used it. But the time you loose when choosing your AF point is too long.
So I either focus manually or use center focus point which is much quicker:

1. focus subject
2. recompose
3. shoot

And this is way faster, or maybe because I'm not used to?

Beep? I turned it off. If you're taking a lot of pictures or have difficulty with focussing, it can quickly become annoying or disturbing in some situations.

Last edited by ezechiel; 11-27-2009 at 06:26 AM.
11-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I leave it in the center. I can't hear the beep. I never knew it did beep until it was told it did.
11-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Put me in the center crowd.
01-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #25
Inactive Account

mostly exclusively center+recompose or select AF point as follows :
handheld with reasonnable DOF : center + recompose
handheld with shallow DOF (ex: indoor available light, or using a tripod) : select AF
oh and some manual focus for occasional macro shots.

Actually I more precisely use most of the time the AF-select AND the AF or OK button (I own both a K100D and a K20D) to re-center the AF point. That way, I can "switch" easily for one mode to another.

Now with the K20D though, I might change my way of doing by disconnecting the AF from the shutter button... That sure is usefull in low light not to have to re-focus between every shot of a same near-static subject (ex : my girl on one of her grandparents' knees, "reading" a book) !

Olivier
01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Centre point or Manual.

Spent a week or two trying other options and gave up and went with centre most of the time (rest of the time manual).
Finding I'm using manual focus more than I was. Find auto is great default and allows you to get those quick shots as they arise but no time to select a focus point in this scenario anyway.
01-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #27

Center / Recompose
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi emr,

I use all three modes, though center point is easily the most used. For birds, I'll usually just center them in the frame, and compose via cropping in PP if needed. For most other shooting, focus/recompose works fine.

I've had situations where select point was the only way to go since my default is to have AE locked to the focus point, and there will be situations where this can cause massive exposure problems with center point with focus/recompose. It's easier to change the focus mode than go through the menus and change it.

I'll use Auto when shooting fast moving objects with AF C -- in my case, birds in flight more often than not. It slows frame rate, but I'm just not good enough to keep a flying bird in the center of the VF with a 300mm or longer lens handheld.

Scott
01-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Split personality here. Camera on SEL but usually with center point selected.
01-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try using whatever works with the given situation, but as a newbie I have been burnt a few times when a sudden opportunity arises and I miss the focus because I'm undecided on a method. For example I will get tired of always recomposing and just hold the compostion while selecting the focus point with my thumb and miss a changing scene. Other times I will center and recompose (learned on a Nikon Coolpix 5700) and get burned when the exposure metering changes. Then there are the times with my manual lenses, which I use for their slim DOF, that after recomposing the focus is missed yet again. Fortunately my full manual lenses avoid this handily. After all this I still have to say I love variety!