Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #1

Old lenses modern camera?

I have a couple of lenses that were originally for a pentax k1000 and it's equivalent counter parts. Does anyone know if these lenses would fit the new pentax k7? Does anyone know of any modern camera (late 2007, 2008, 2009) that these lenses might fit on?

05-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of Pentax's K-Mount lenses will work on any modern DSLR the older manual lenses however may have some metering issues on certain bodies. You can use this handy chart to see which lenses and bodies are compatible.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
05-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
FIRST OF ALL I want to thank you very much for replying! And then second, I'm a complete newbie to photography and all else relating to it. That chart gave me at least hope, but it made little sense to me. So maybe if I list the lenses you can tell me if they are compatible are not. The lenses are: "deitz multi-coated auto tele converter 2x for pentax-k", and a "auto makinon macro lense 1:2.8 f=135mm"
05-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pretty much any K-mount lens will work on any of the Pentax digital SLRs. The key feature you're looking for for improved compatibility is the 'A' position on the aperture ring. If present, all autoexposure modes & features will work. If not, you will generally need to shoot either manual with stop-down metering or in Av (aperture-priority) mode with lens always wide open (largest aperture).

I don't think this is an issue with the pieces you mention but the one other thing to be concerned with is if the lens has a "Ricoh Pin". Some manual focus lenses were developed to support autoexposure with ricoh bodies that had a pin that differed from most K-mount lenses intended for Pentax bodies. If present this pin can cause the lens to get stuck on an autofocus Pentax body, including the D-SLRs. This pin can usually be removed with minor surgery on the lens and wouldn't likely be missed unless somebody wanted to use it on a Ricoh body again (generally-speaking, unlikely).

05-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

To be honest, if you're a complete newbie to photography, I'd say, don't worry about those lenses. Actually, the teleconverter is not a "lens" per se - it's something you use in conjucntion with a lens to make it "magnify" more. So you really have only one lens here. It's probably worth about $20, will be difficult to learn to use because despite the word "auto", it's probably manual focus and manual exposure, and being a 135mm macro lens, it is only good for taking certain type of pictures: pictures of distant objects or closeups of flowers and so forth. Not useful for general purpose photography. You'll get far more use from the lens that will come with whatever camera you buy.

But of course, if you do buy a Pentax - and I recommend you do! - you'll be able to use that old $20 lens when the situations arise where you *want* to use it. And with most other brands of cameras, there aren't any $20 lenses you could find that would do the job.
05-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But of course, if you do buy a Pentax - and I recommend you do! [...]
Ajr901, don't believe these guys - they just want you to buy a K7 at any cost. Those old lenses are worthless - just send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. I'll even pay the postage.
06-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #7

Help Please

Hi everyone!! I have the same problem as the person starting this topic. I bought a bunch of lenses recently for a really good deal that were used with k1000, film camera that is really old. The lenses are awesome but manual and they fit my k7 but when i turn on the camera the aperture number is blinking and the shutter speed number is not even there. I am also not able to press the shutter button, it does not take a picture. I don't know what to do!! Can somebody help please?
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by innysik Quote
Hi everyone!! I have the same problem as the person starting this topic. I bought a bunch of lenses recently for a really good deal that were used with k1000, film camera that is really old. The lenses are awesome but manual and they fit my k7 but when i turn on the camera the aperture number is blinking and the shutter speed number is not even there. I am also not able to press the shutter button, it does not take a picture. I don't know what to do!! Can somebody help please?
I believe the first step for you is to permit the use of the aperture ring on the settings menu of your camera.

other than that, this is pretty much all you need to know: Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs F--

06-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #9

I already figured that but thank you sooo much!!!
06-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already figured that but thank you sooo much!!!
So do you need help figuring anything else out?
06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #11

I just kinda want to know what focal length to use for my manual lenses. For example for my 50mm f1.4.
06-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

Some of the older third party lenses (Vivitar in particular) have a type of shield on them that won't allow it to go on the digitals unless you cut it off. I have one like that but since I also have another in the focal length I just leave it on my K1000.
06-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #13

I just kinda want to know what focal length to use for my manual lenses. For example for my 50mm f1.4.
What do you mean? Is the camera asking you for a focal length when you turn it on? If yes, then enter 50, since it's a 50mm lens. Or turn off the SR and it won't ask.
06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelle Quote
What do you mean? Is the camera asking you for a focal length when you turn it on? If yes, then enter 50, since it's a 50mm lens. Or turn off the SR and it won't ask.
I like that answer. "...turn off the SR and it won't ask." I mean... Who is in charge here? You or the camera?

Seriously, anyone within view of this post, please read carefully!

Please be particularly careful with a few lenses you may wish to use on your nice, new and unscarred Pentax digital camera. We cannot stress enough the troubles and measures you face if you unwittingly attach a lens with a PK-R mount to your dslr. A selection of lenses from a variety of manufacturers have their mounts based on an older system which employs a small, often pointed pin that can actually make removing the lens from your dslr a bit tricky. Please try to notice before buying a used, older lens and especially mounting the used, older lens to any Pentax digital camera.

You can find many useful topics and remarks all around this forum about the Ricoh pin and lenses with this pin. But above all else, anyone new to Pentax dslr cameras, be aware of the PK-R mounts and take action.
06-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #15

Thanks everyone for help. All the old lenses i have are Pentax Asahi and they are from the 80's. And thanx for the focal length answer