Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Just picked up a K2000. Any recommendations/advice on lenses and settings?

Hello all. I'm moving up from a P/S to the world of DSLRs. I was hoping to pick up a K100D super from the Ritz deals, but I was too late. Instead, I got a good deal on a K2000.

I'm new to Pentax and was wondering what model lenses can I use on a K mount body? I'm also shooting JPEG and was wondering what settings are people using in their K2000.

05-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome.
You can use any Pentax or third party lens meant for Pentax. Old screwmounts will require an adapter.
As far as settings go, you should read the manual and play around with the settings until you get the look you like. One persons settings might not necessarily be the best for you.
05-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
What third party lenses are available for Pentax DSLRs? And, are screwmounts M42 lenses?
05-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Assuming that your body came with the kit (18-55) lens, then that's a good one to start on in getting to know your camera. Pentax's kit lens is considered among the best out of all the different camera manufacturer's kit lenses. If you'd like something longer, then both the DA50-200 and DA55-300 are reasonably priced options.

As for manual focus lenses, the easiest ones to use are the ones with an "A" on the aperture ring. When you mount an "A" lens to the camera, you simply make sure that the aperture ring is set to "A". Unlike other manual lenses (M series, K series, and screwmounts), the "A" lenses have the ability to communicate with your body, making it possible to set the aperture in the camera just like the AF lenses. The only thing that's missing is the AF. Pentax does have their A series lenses, but other manufacturers (i.e. Vivitar) also have manual focus lenses with the A setting. If you're interested in exploring manual focus lenses further, I would recommend the A50/1.7, which can be had for under $100; if you don't want to spend that much money, the A50/2 is a decent lens that can be had for $50 or less.

Starting out using the JPG format is fine, but I would encourage you to play around with the RAW format, too. As your skills grow and you gain skill in photo editing, you come to understand just how much more versatile the RAW format is in editing for bringing out the best in your shots.

Definitely read your camera's manual to better understand how the camera works. To better understand the basics of photography itself, I would highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure; it's an excellent resource for anybody who wants to go beyond using just the Auto or Program mode in their camera.

HTH,
Heather

05-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philthy Quote
What third party lenses are available for Pentax DSLRs? And, are screwmounts M42 lenses?
You'll find new and used lenses for Pentax from makers like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, and Vivitar, among others. Check out our lens databases for both Pentax and Third-party lenses to get an idea of what other Pentax users like (and don't).

Screwmount lenses are M42 lenses. As Gary mentioned, they do require a special adapter that you mount to the body, then screw the lens into. If you decide that you want to try screwmount lenses, get the genuine Pentax adapter, as it's easier to put in and remove than most 3rd party adapters.

HTH,
Heather
05-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Assuming that your body came with the kit (18-55) lens, then that's a good one to start on in getting to know your camera. Pentax's kit lens is considered among the best out of all the different camera manufacturer's kit lenses. If you'd like something longer, then both the DA50-200 and DA55-300 are reasonably priced options.

As for manual focus lenses, the easiest ones to use are the ones with an "A" on the aperture ring. When you mount an "A" lens to the camera, you simply make sure that the aperture ring i set to "A". Unlike other manual lenses (M series, K series, and screwmounts), the "A" lenses have the ability to communicate with your body, making it possible to set the aperture in the camera just like the AF lenses. The only thing that's missing is the AF. Pentax does have their A series lenses, but other manufacturers (i.e. Vivitar) also have manual focus lenses with the A setting. If you're is set to "A". Unlike other manual lenses (M series, K series, and screwmounts), the "A" lenses have the ability to communicate with your body, making it possible to set the aperture in the camera just like the AF lenses. The only thing that's missing is the AF. Pentax does have their A series lenses, but other manufacturers (i.e. Vivitar) also have manual focus lenses with the A setting. If you're interested in exploring manual focus lenses further, I would recommend the A50/1.7, which can be had for under $100; if you don't want to spend that much money, the A50/2 is a decent lens that can be had for $50 or less.

Starting out using the JPG format is fine, but I would encourage you to play around with the RAW format, too. As your skills grow and you gain skill in photo editing, you come to understand just how much more versatile the RAW format is in editing for bringing out the best in your shots.

Definitely read your camera's manual to better understand how the camera works. To better understand the basics of photography itself, I would highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure; it's an excellent resource for anybody who wants to go beyond using just the Auto or Program mode in their camera.

HTH,
Heather
Thanks for the help. Can you use the legacy M lenses in Av mode and manually set the aperture while the camera sets the shutter speed?
05-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the help. Can you use the legacy M lenses in Av mode and manually set the aperture while the camera sets the shutter speed?
SMCP-M lenses work only at fully open aperture with K series Pentax DSLRs in AV mode.

Last edited by chhayanat; 05-31-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Factual error
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

No. Use M mode; and press a button on the camera (I forget which on the K2000, but see the Sticky thread on using manual lenses) to get the camera to set a shutter speed.

06-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No. Use M mode; and press a button on the camera (I forget which on the K2000, but see the Sticky thread on using manual lenses) to get the camera to set a shutter speed.

It's the +/- button next to the dial.
06-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
For this I'd recommend shooting RAW+ (RAW + JPG). This way you can have the image in JPG while you learn to develop RAW.