Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thank you all! I think I am convinced to go ahead and get them. If I am in over my head, I will just sell them.

Navcom, right now I mostly take landscape photos. It sits still and doesn't talk back! I could wallpaper a room with all of my flower photos...

Marc, that is some good information to have!

Rob, thank you for the helpful photos and info. It may have taken me a while to figure that out!

06-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
Red

The M 135mm 3.5 is a very good lens, loved it for outdoor portraits. I regret selling.

Also check out:
Stan's Pentax Photography
06-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Duh! I do have the 135mm lens! I was thinking of something different for some reason.

The 28mm will be a great landscape lens for you. And the 135mm is a great lens too. I don't use it that much (probably why I forgot about it) as I like my 55-300mm zoom, which is a bit more practical for the types of shooting I do with telephotos.

I use my 28mm very frequently. It has wonderful color rendition and is crisp in the mid-aperture range...perfect for landscapes.
06-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will enjoy using these Takumars Katie, just the "feel" of them will be worth it, they ooze quality. Plus, they take some dern nice "pitchers" once you get the hang of em !!

06-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justkatie Quote
Thank you all! I think I am convinced to go ahead and get them. If I am in over my head, I will just sell them.

Navcom, right now I mostly take landscape photos. It sits still and doesn't talk back!
Then you will love the 28/3.5. Here are a few of my photos from the 28/3.5, including some that are kinda-sorta landscapy....or at least as close as I ever get to shooting landscapes.
06-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike the shot of the capstan (shot with the umbrella) on the Tugboat is excellent. Shows why this is such a great lens in the right hands. Love my 28/3.5
06-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The biggest difference in everyday shooting you will have to deal with, concerning the older screwmount lenses vs. the K-Mounts, is stopped down shooting. You will be focusing wide open, but will have to manually stop the lens down to shooting aperture to take the shot, darkening the viewfinder to a degree. I shoot with screwmounts regularly, and have accepted this as a prerequisite to shooting with these lenses (no big deal once you become accustomed to it), but it's worth it..... none of the later lenses come close to the build quality of the earlier lenses..... the unmatched buttery, perfectly damped focusing action alone is worth the price of admission..... In my experience never bested by any lenses of any other manufacturer.... the reason, as a matter of fact, I started as, & remain, a Pentaxian.
06-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

P.S. - I forgot to mention the fact that you'll be stopping the lens down to meter before you open it up to maximum aperture to focus. I don't normally think about this step, as I usually meter with separate hand held meters.

06-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
P.S. - I forgot to mention the fact that you'll be stopping the lens down to meter before you open it up to maximum aperture to focus.
Not necessarily.

I usually leave my lenses at somewhere around f4, focus at that aperture, and then stop down to shoot. Metering is something I leave to the camera to figure out in Av mode.

For the life of me I can't understand how people come up with all these extra steps that make shooting Takumars more involved a process than it needs to be.
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Not necessarily.

I usually leave my lenses at somewhere around f4, focus at that aperture, and then stop down to shoot. Metering is something I leave to the camera to figure out in Av mode.

For the life of me I can't understand how people come up with all these extra steps that make shooting Takumars more involved a process than it needs to be.
Good advice. As I mentioned, I don't give in-camera metering much thought, as I usually meter with external meters.