Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #1

Tripod choices are doing my head in!

I wish my first post here was a little more cheerful but I've been looking at tripods for a few weeks now and it's making my head hurt. I would like a travel(ish) tripod that is (obviously) light, stable and relatively inexpensive. My heaviest lens is a Tokina 70-210mm MF, with my K10D. I'm 5'8" and would like something in the 50-60" height range at least. I plan on lugging it with me when I travel so ideally, about 3.5-4lb max (with ball head). Here are a few legs I've been considering:
Slik 340DX - Cheap, decent max height (54") and at 2.95lb, pretty light. Max capacity 8.8lb
Slik 613 CF - Inexpensive for CF, max height only 47", very light (1.9lb), max capacity about 6lb
Slik 614/713 CF - Good height, but about the same weight as the 340DX which is 1/3 of the price
Manfrotto 190XB - Good price, heaviest in this group at about 4lb.

I'm leaning towards the 340DX and pairing it with a Manfrotto mini/compact-ball head. Do you guys have any other suggestions that I might consider? (Just to make things even more complicated!) This will be my primary tripod and I like to shoot in low light (indoors, band gigs etc) so the ability for me to grab and go is pretty important. Rock solid stability/weight capacity is less of a concern because I'm not shooting 500mm in windy conditions.

Thanks for your help!

06-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Damn Brit

You're not going to be shooting many bands with a tripod.
06-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You're not going to be shooting many bands with a tripod.
Nothing more energetic than a string quartet, anyway.
06-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered a monopod. Nine times out of ten my tripod stays at home...monopod so much easier and mobile.