Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lithium versus Eneloops.

With the four AA batteries used in a large number of Pentax DSLRs I"ve started wondering if there is any difference in the behaviour of the cameras with 6v(lithiums) versus (say)5.2v(Eneloops generous figure). Anybody have some thoughts or evidence on this subject?? I know light bulbs are brighter with higher voltage....
Had a quick search but I thought I would refresh the subject...

06-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #2

i think you will get more shots and thats about it.... (and pay more $)
06-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Autofocusing may be a tad faster with the lithium too.
06-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Never tried it, but I personally would be hesitant to put in batteries with a higher voltage. It's possible they could damage some of the electronics in the camera. I'd guess doing that conveniently voids the warranty too. But I haven't looked into either issue, so I could be totally wrong.

06-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Much more than 6v can be a problem, and Pentax specifically used to recommend against the rechargeable CRV3's that came out a few years ago because thier voltage was too high. But lithiums are fine. They last longer, are lighter, and can speed up AF to some extent - probably more so with bigger lenses. But Eneloops work fine, and they're rechargeable - they cost a fraction of what lithiums do in the long run.
06-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K100D & K200D manuals state that they can use AA Ni-MH, AA Lithium, AA alkalines, (also CR-V3's in the K100D).

(EDIT: I use in both my K100D & K200D Energizer 2500mAh batteries and they seem to work fine).

Last edited by chalion; 06-01-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: needed to correct battery name
06-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I tested this a while ago, and while I don't have any formal results to present, I discovered the camera (K100 Super in my testing) focusses faster when using the Lithium AAs.

However, this was largely irrelevant in good light - the only time it really made a noticable difference to the total time to obtain focus was when light was getting a bit poor, and the camera was taking it's time in difficult conditions - then the Lithium AAs give you a little bit of a speed boost.

More to the point, the Lithium AAs are really nice, because they're lighter, and imo, the camera feels a bit better balanced.

06-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I try to carry a set of lithiums as backup and use rechargeables primarily. If the expiration date is correct, the lithiums will be OK hanging around in the camera bag for like 12 years. Sometimes I get behind on recharging, need flash batteries or want to go super light weight, so I install and use up a set of lithiums.
06-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
I"ve started wondering if there is any difference in the behaviour of the cameras with 6v(lithiums) versus (say)5.2v(Eneloops generous figure).
The camera has a voltage regulator which ensures that a stable, consistent voltage is fed to the camera's electronics. If this wasn't the case then, for example, the metering system would give different readings depending on which types of batteries you were using.

So I wouldn't worry about the difference in battery technologies, as long as it's one that's listed as being compatible.
06-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I try to carry a set of lithiums as backup and use rechargeables primarily.
I just carry a spare set of Eneloops, which keep almost a complete charge for well over a year. It never takes me more than a few months to go through a set of batteries, so the batteries in each of my alternating sets have always been charged within the last 6 months or so. That works flawlessly for me.
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A lot of difference. That 1 volt difference makes a big difference in AF, and some (not me) have noticed in card write speeds as well.

Enloops are fine for non critical use, but to get the most from the DSLR lithiums are a small investment when you consider the amount of shots per set. They could last an average shooter weeks or even months.
06-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
The K100D & K200D manuals state that they can use AA Ni-MH, AA Lithium, AA alkalines, (also CR-V3's in the K100D).

(EDIT: I use in both my K100D & K200D Energizer 2500mAh batteries and they seem to work fine).
I do as well. Have you noticed they are now 2450mAh? Why is that?
06-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My K200D came with a set of lithiums, so they are now my backups that stay in the camera bag. I think I've needed them for a couple of dozen shots at most in the year or so I've had the camera, because I also have two sets of Eneloops, and I generally swap them out at home *before* the set in the camera actually dies. They're good for around 500 shots, so I'll swap them out after 300-400 shots, or sooner if I expect to be taking several hundred in a single day. It's only when I forget to do the swap at home that I've ever had my batteries die on me in camera. At the rate I'm using my lithiums, I figure they'll be good another decade at least as my spares.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-03-2009 at 01:46 PM.
06-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My K200D came with a set of lithiums, so they are now my backups that stay in the camera bag. I think I've needed them for a couple of dozen shots t msot in the year or so I've had the camera, because I also have two sets of Eneloops, and I generally swap them out at home *before* the set in the camera actually dies. They're good for around 500 shots, so I'll swap them out after 300-400 shots, or sooner if I expect to be taking several hundred in a single day. It's only when I forget to do the swap at home that I've ever had my batteries die on me in camera. At the rate I'm using my lithiums, I figure they'll be good another decade at least as my spares.
So lithium will last a very long time in storage without no ill effects? Was at Wally Mart pricing the Energizer ultimates as possible backups.
06-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Check the expiration date, but yeah, the assumption is that lithiums are good for a decade or so.