Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k100d super vs k2000

I'm looking at the k100d super and the 2000. I've seen amazing pictures taken with the k100d (and super). I seen very few postings of photos taken with the k-2000. Nor are there many posts from people who've purchased the k-2000. Is it because it's new or because it's not a good camera. The reviews I've read have been pretty mixed. The main features I'm looking at are the 11 pt af vs the 5 pt af ... how important is that to total novice dslr user? The battery life of the 100d super seems very short. I thought that the help button might be really useful considering I know very little about photography (much less dslr photo). I'd like a camera that takes good pictures, that's easy to handle, travel with and grow with. Any suggestions?

06-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go with the K2000. It has several advanced features which you can grow into using, and a 10MP sensor over the 6MP sensor of the K100. When I upgraded to the K10D with 10MP I noticed much more detail in for example (distant) background foliage, and it also allows to crop much more (handy when you left your long telelens at home...).

I only use the center focus point, that is I point at what should be in focus, and then lock focus, so for me it doesn't matter whether the camera has 1, 5, or 11 focus points! It depends on your style if the 11 versus 5 points is an issue.
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Note the K2000 is also known as the K-m. There have actually been quite a few threads about this camera, mostly comparing it to the K200D that is turns out to have pretty much replaced. It's a good camera, capable of great pictures in the right hands just as the K100D. But great pictures are mostly about the photographer, also to a large extent about the lens used, and only has a little to do with the camera. So don't expect a better camera to instantly produce great pictures - but on the other hand, you really don't need to worry that any camera will *prevent* you from taking great pictures. All modern DSLR's are capable of taking great pictures.

Regarding number of AF points, I'd count that as "don't care". Most reports are the K2000 [ EDIT: I originally worte K200D, but meant K2000 ] focuses faster and more accurately than previous models despite having fewer points. As for battery life, not sure whose test you are looking at, but the Pentax cameras that use AA batteries (like the K100D and K2000) get around 500 shots per charge with good batteries like Sanyo Eneloop or other "low self-discharge" cells. I have no idea if the help button is of much use in practice - mostly, you really want to spend time learning to use the camera.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-09-2009 at 09:23 AM.
06-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Probably one of the main reasons why there are more of the K100D/super around is that they where marketed as the semi-pro or not entry level DSLR plus the fact that a lot of them are being sold very affordably (now).
It was also the first time that in-body "SR" was introduced, so a lot of people grabbed it.
The entry level equivalent of the K2000D or the Km during the time of the K100D/super was the K110D without the SR.
Whatever camera you use, it would just be a tool and it is the person behind the camera that makes or creates the great images.
Maybe a lot of people who would want to use the DSLRs wouldn't want using a label of "entry level" (..my guess only)..'coz if they are to be "branded as newbies", then they would rather use the P&S or bridge cams.
People who graduate from the P&S or bridge cams would rather get the semi-pro label rather than the entry-level label.
It has all to do with marketing and brainwashing. Like if how some would feel superior if they were using the Canon or Nikon brands.
Its actually all about you..your budget, what you want to do or if you are picky..the specs of the camera you would want to use.
Being comfortable with your chosen equipment with help a long way in producing good pictures too (not blaming the camera for your goof-ups).
That being said, go with whatever you think is right for you, and remember, it is you who makes the images or pictures and not the kind of equipment you use.