Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #16

Will you be shooting RAW; RAW + .jpg; or just .jpg? Are you going to be downloading to a storage device or computer while on location or just swapping out SD cards for the whole trip? Are you the kind of person who "sprays and prays", or do you like to take the quintessential shot getting it right in camera? Only you can answer these questions and come up with an estimate of what you will need to take with you.

06-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #17

Original Poster
hm
good questions, like i said im a noob... first dslr and all.
RAW is supposed to have better iq right?
I will be swapping to a laptop whenever i get some downtime.
SD cards are cheap though..... is there a specific SD card thats better than others? speed/quality wise?

Since i've never used a dslr i dont know if i'd be spray and pray. im certainly not that way when shooting... and i dont usually do that w/ PS so i'd like to think i'll be the latter... but i dont know until i get it in my hands.

so far im thinking to get an 18-250 and a nice prime lens and just use those two.
along w/ a decent q PS for backup....
small laptop
helmet cam

i think that does it for equipment
as far as accesories idk.
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RAW doens't have inherently better IQ (at least not by an amount that matters). The advantage of RAW is that you have more lattitude for postprocessing - things like changing white balance or exposure after the fact can be done with much better results with RAW than JPEG.
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D was a reasonably fast write speed. I'd suggest getting SD cards that at least match it - around 10Mb/sec write speed. The SanDisk Extreme III variety fit the bill here nicely.

If you can get to your charger and power source on a daily basis, you'll be able to reach 800-1000 shots (maybe more) a day (!) with grip, so won't need more than 2 batteries unless you plan to do a lot of continuous shooting.

Reasonable choice in lenses too. Lucky for you cost isn't much of a problem - but then again, if it isn't, and your trip starts after the K-7 comes out, then K-7's a better choice. Then comes the K20D, which you'll find can utilise each lens's IQ to the maximum and has a larger buffer for capturing continuous RAW photos.

Whatever you choose, I don't think you'd go wrong - the K10D's a solid performer with a very low pricetag nowadays.

06-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #20

Original Poster
eh, this will be my first dslr, so im not ready to spend 1500 on it just to get started. but i have researched the k7 and its pretty nifty lookin,
if i like shooting i'll definitely upgrade to the k7 after i get back or atleat by christmas...

cost is an issue. lol. i dont have very deep pockets, i simply meant that if the cost of a film slr wasnt an issue, would it be a logical thing to carry...

remember i'm only sophmore/junior in college and 19yrs old....

I think all i need now is lenses and a quality camera bag..... i'd prefera backpack.
are there any bags that have a laptop pouch for a 13-14.5" laptop, camera body, a few lenses and accesories and perhaps a camelbak bladder? I'd like to keep hands free hydration on me at all times when not at the house. I became dehydrated there before, was not a fun.
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Apache,

I just found my Magic Lantern book for the K10D I used to have. I don't need the book anymore, since I no longer have the camera; but it's very helpful and virtually brand new. If you want it, I'll let you have it for $5 + shipping.

Good luck on your trip.
06-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Apache,
As for SD cards, I recommend getting several fast, name brand 2 to 4 GB cards instead of a couple of 8 to 16 GB cards. That way, if something goes haywire with a card you don't lose much and have plenty for backup. Although you plan on dumping your images to your laptop, you never know what will happen that might prevent you from using it for a time.

Good choice on the 18-250; perhaps consider the DA 40mm Ltd pancake lens as your prime. It's a little wider than the 50mm (75 on the K10D), but still only a 60mm equivalent on the K10D. A good walkaround prime that is tiny, extremely lightweight and doesn't attract attention. IQ is very good, better than the 18-250. Because its so small, you can take it in your pocket or stash it practically anywhere.
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Apache,

I just found my Magic Lantern book for the K10D I used to have. I don't need the book anymore, since I no longer have the camera; but it's very helpful and virtually brand new. If you want it, I'll let you have it for $5 + shipping.

Good luck on your trip.

thanks sholtzma, i'll let you know when my camera arrives if i want the book
i'll probably end up needing it... lol

06-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #24

Original Poster
well, my k10d is arriving today, within a couple of hours... im excited!
sholtzma i cant remember if the majic lantern book is included with what i bought, but if its not, i'll take yours if its still available.....

its coming with the kit DA 18-55... battery grip, 2 spare battereis, couple of 4gb cards, small pack, etc...

might not be headed to pakistan this summer, I might have to go in the winter... which would be nice, as i've never been there during winter time... the weather might be more forgiving.

but i've got a big airsoft game on sunday and a fashion show on saturday, and a host of weapons to photograph at my house as well as the garden me and my pops built in the back yard. so i'll get to take all sorts of photography this weekend....
I'll make a flikr account or something and link you all so you can give me some tips/advice.... thanks.
06-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apache137 Quote
well, my k10d is arriving today, within a couple of hours... im excited!
sholtzma i cant remember if the majic lantern book is included with what i bought, but if its not, i'll take yours if its still available.....

its coming with the kit DA 18-55... battery grip, 2 spare battereis, couple of 4gb cards, small pack, etc...

might not be headed to pakistan this summer, I might have to go in the winter... which would be nice, as i've never been there during winter time... the weather might be more forgiving.

but i've got a big airsoft game on sunday and a fashion show on saturday, and a host of weapons to photograph at my house as well as the garden me and my pops built in the back yard. so i'll get to take all sorts of photography this weekend....
I'll make a flikr account or something and link you all so you can give me some tips/advice.... thanks.
Congratulations Apache.
I bought my K10D with a 18-55mm kitlens and a Tamron 18-250mm couple of years ago.
We did a trip trough east africa for several weeks and I did it all with the Tammy lens.
It is a very convenient travel lens, long reach, semi macro at 250mm, and you'll collect less dust (a serious problem there I'd guess) because you'd not change lenses.
Perhaps you can get one cheap still?

The Swat valley is not save, lots of road side bombs, so beware and take good care of yourself.
Have a nice and save trip and show us some photos!

- Bert
06-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It sounds like your weekend will possibly cover most of the situations before you head out for Pakistan (except for the possible combat situations), so you should get a good idea of how you're going to be taking pictures and what you may need to change or add.

I do agree with the suggestion of taking more smaller memory cards than just a couple of larger ones. Even if you don't find problems with the cards, you may not get many opportunities to DL to the laptop.

Good luck to you and stay safe over there.
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Site Supporter

The Magic Lantern series is a private series; so no, you would not normally get one with your camera--unless you bought privately from an individual who happened to include one or bought from a store that said it would include one. Otherwise, you'll need it. Just let me know when your camera arrives. Email me or PM me, and I'll send you my Paypal address. Enjoy your new camera! Always exciting to get a new camera body.
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #28

Original Poster
ITS HERE!!! and its sweet! a bit uncomfortable to hold, but no biggie... its very comfortable w/ the battery grip.

alright, so i might end up going this summer afterall... new developments though
I'll be based out of peshawar, but only for a week or so, as i'll be tagging along w/ someone... but peshawar is the capital of the northwester frontier province, where all the action is. so this is good...
I might also get to afghanistan for a couple days, and maybe even tajikistan...
and then thailand and such as well...

I'll be going with a friend who is in the gemstones business, a lot of tourmaline and emeralds and stuff come from that region, so hes there alot... so it'll be good to have a "guide"
i'll keep you posted if this plan goes green....

I wont get to experience a real combat situation this weekend lol, but i'll be getting shot at (airsoft), so i'll get a good feel how and where to move and what to do.. i guess... i know what to do as a combatant... but not so much as an innocent civilian photographer...

sholtzma, it was a private deal, however the magic lantern did not come w/ it..
you have a pm.. i can send money tonight...

thanks again for all the advice and help guys. i'll keep ya posted