Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

DSLR noob ((k10d) help/advice

hey i posted this in the wanted section, and now that i've found a few great deals on k10ds i'll definitely be choosing one shortly. but i've just copied and pasted here for teh sake of simplicity...

Hey, I'm just getting started in the world of DSLRs...
I'd like to start with a k10d and work up to a K7 later on down the line...

I will be traveling to Pakistan in July for about a month and would love to take a quality dslr with me to document everything i can. I like the k10d as a starter because of its appealing price, weather resistance, and over all features.

I'm a novice by all means, so please help me get in the right direction...

I'd love to get a "starter kit"
k10d, a lens or some, the proper accessories...

I'll be taking all sorts of photographs while on my trip

pictures of the pakistani countryside (it really is a beautiful country) ..
pictures of fast moving traffic and general population,
pictures of the flora and fauna,
and hopefully, if i can get there, pictures of the refugee camps and soldiers in the region as well as rebel/resistance fighters. and even more hopefully, some combat photographs...

So this ranges from Landscape, to macro, to sports/action....
I'm not lookin to break the bank on lenses, so some good budget lenses for these purposes would be great.
Any suggestions on lenses to buy?

You all seem like a very helpful bunch here as i've been lurking and reading here for quite some time.
thanks in advance for your help.

also, I'll be using a MOLLE vest w/ PALS webbing, I've never seen it, but is there any camera gear designed to be used w/ MOLLE/PALS webbing?
that would be awesome. thanks.

06-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

first wow!! what an amazing trip!!! I would love to be there with you...

but be careful !!

I would try to get the new kit lenses that are coming with the K-7

the WR 18-50 , 50-200 that should be a good kit for a trip like this...
06-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks

i've been to pakistan numerous times in the past, got family there, so i'll be staying at my bungalow in karachi, and then traveling via train, bus, private car, on foot, from there to Gwadar, Quetta (hopefully), Islamabad, Peshawar (hopefully), Muree, and hopefully the SWAT valley (which would be the most difficult to gain access to.... i've got a NICOP card which basically gives me citizenship status w/ a few limitations but some perks as well...

i'll have to mask my US citizenship (born in dallas, texas. GO COWBOYS) while there, so i'll fly into Dubai on my US passport, stay with a friend there for a couple days, plenty of good photo ops there... and then fly from Dubai to karachi on my nicop card... that way unless something jumps off and i have to go to the US embassy for w/e reason, i wont have to show my US passport anywhere... i hope. theres a lot of resentment toward the US there..... so i try to keep a low profile...

also im fluent in urdu and like i said have a lot of family there, so i should be fine.

Hm, i'll look into those lenses. thanks for the tip.
06-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #4

If this were me going, I think I would prefer a single, all-purpose lens. On my K10D I would lock on an 18-250 with CP filter and not be concerned about swapping lenses, etc.

06-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
thats not a bad idea, i was considering something like that.
is there any particular lens y'all would recommend as a "do it all" lens for a noobie?
06-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
gtk

I second the idea of a Pentax (or Tamron) 18 - 250mm lens. Versatile and good quality. I carried one for a month in Africa and it was very easy to use with only a few compromises especially at the longer end but only because I wanted more reach for wildlife shots. Take a couple of ziplock bags with dessicant sachets if the weather gets moist or if there is a lot of dust. I carried the camera in a backpack in a pocket lined with a layer of bubble wrap. This keeps the camera inconspicuous which might come in handy if there are soldiers around. It also provides a measure of protection for the camera. The 250 mm end will allow you to be somewhat removed from the action if it starts to get a bit hairy. Have a good trip and come back safe. Hope to see some great shots posted.
06-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
I think i will invest in such a lens. Seems only logical to me.
I think one of those and a good prime should do me alright for my trip...
I found a great deal on a k10d and will be picking it up shortly, but i was also reccomend to bring along a half decent PS camera (given) and a film slr as well... this is where im stumped.

I've never used a film slr before, hell, i've hardly used film aside from disposables and the occasional cheap film camera the family had before the digital age, I was quite young when digital cameras dawned on us so i havent had much experience with film... unless disposables count, then i'm an underwater expert :P

Heres my kit list so far, perhaps some of you who have traveled abroad can give me a few pointers
-K10d
-Sony 13.6 mp PS
-Film SLR (dont know which one yet, i guess a pentax would be a good idea for lens compatiblity)
-small laptop, recent sold one of the PCs i custom built, so I have some cash to get me a more compact laptop than my del 15.4" right now, which is too big imo. I was thinking one of the old body macbooks that have been retrofitted with the new internal components? i saw some for like 700, not a bad deal...
-Contour HD helmet cam, this is a nifty little item, its small, wireless and can capture 2 hours of hd video on a single charge, and up to 8 hours total on a 16gb micro sd card.... first wide screen bullet cam.
-A pad and pen of course
-A digital voice recorder
-Iphone 3g
-camelbak to stay hydrated. it gets REALLY REALLY hot and dry.

Is anyone familiar w/ MOLLE vests and/or PALS webbing? Reason I ask is that I use tactical gear when playing airsoft and when in LE and milsim events, and it is really simple to quickly get at anything you need... I think this type of gear would be perfect for photography, being able to quickly swap lenses and utilize other gear you might need....
I was wondering if theres any pouches already out there that are MOLLE compatible for lenses and such.
06-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

the 18-250 will be convenient for covering the all range..
keep in mind that usually the optic quality of super zooms like that is not as good.

so its really up to you... convenience of one lens VS image quality
the Pentax kit leans 18-50 is a very good lens for a price you cant bit

06-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
I'm already getting the kit lens with the camera. the DA 18-55.
so thats good.
do you think i should get a lens dedicated to zoom or just get the 18-250?

and when you talk about the image quality, do you mean that the quality gets worse at the higher zoom ranges? or will teh 18-55 have better quality than the 18-250 when using that lens at 18-55 zoom? does that make any sense? lol
06-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Apache137 Quote
I'm already getting the kit lens with the camera. the DA 18-55.
so thats good.
do you think i should get a lens dedicated to zoom or just get the 18-250?
If you get the 18-250, there's no particular reason to hang on to the 18-55 or get a dedicated telephoto lens.

BTW, you are using "zoom" to mean what really is called "telephoto". The 18-55 *is* a zoom; it just doesn't happen to have a very long focal length (eg, it's not very telephoto).

QuoteQuote:
and when you talk about the image quality, do you mean that the quality gets worse at the higher zoom ranges? or will teh 18-55 have better quality than the 18-250 when using that lens at 18-55 zoom?
People debate whether the 18-55 or 18-250 is actually better in that 18-55 range. That to me means they are close enough that it doesn't matter. If you don't mind the greater weight and expense of the 18-250 compared to the 18-55 + 50-200 combo, I think combat zones are among the situations where even I - someone who generally prefers primes and doesn't mind changing lenses - would be inclined not to spend more time with my attention diverted to changing lenses than necessary. 18-250 plus a fast normalish prime for low light and you should be set.

Good luck!
06-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks marc.
i think thats what i will do....

any advice on a film slr for backup? should i even get one?
assume that the cost isnt a factor, if you could have one along with you, would you bother?
06-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The 18-250 won't work with film, so you'd need different lenses for that. I personally wouldn't bother. If I felt the need for a second camera, I'd consider a very compact P&S - a DSLR with 18-250 is not a small camera and there might be situations where you don't feel like carrying it.
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apache137 Quote
thanks marc.
i think thats what i will do....

any advice on a film slr for backup? should i even get one?
assume that the cost isnt a factor, if you could have one along with you, would you bother?
Film for backup?

In this day and age? No.

Unless you are doing a REALLY BIG job and it is the third or fourth stage in your backup stragedy.

Get another digital camera.

Does not have to be another DSLR.

Just stay digital.

Last edited by res3567; 06-04-2009 at 12:00 AM.
06-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Sell the kit lens and buy a DA 16-45/4 ...highly underated lens....or until the new weather sealed kit lens is out and about. Then buy something longer if you really need it. Skip the P&S and film and use the cash on a DA * 50-135..... Of course, if there is no power available for a long time, a film might be better.....ME Super will take pics even with a dead battery
06-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
This is by no means a big job of any sort, or even a job at all....
so i guess the general consensus is why bother? i'd like to travel as light as possible, so i'll nix the film slr...

I actually kind of wanted to get that new casio w/ the 1000fps video and all those special features...
i heard the iq for stills isnt the best but thats not why i would be getting it... those few features make it a pretty sweet and compact adition to any kit....

how many batteries and cards would y'all suggest to take? and what other accesories...

the k10d im getting comes with 2 batts, a batter grip, and two 4gb sd cards... and the kit lens.