Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I can't get it to mount on either film camera either now. The pin hole was opposite the red dot, so I don't think I put it back together wrong as it still is this way. It worked on the film cameras before my operation on it. And I saved the pin so I could replace it just in case something happened.

But I can't do anything with it tonight. I had to borrow a small screwdriver from my sister and she has gone to bed already.

02-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

If the lens is not a Ricoh P lens, there is a chance that the pin may got stuck. I have both Ricoh P lenses F1.7 and F2.0 and both are fine mounted on the Pentax K10D or K100D with no problem at all. And no modification is required (the pins are still there). If it is other brand name such as Sears for Pk/PR mount, you will likely have to remove it. The following pictures show the Ricoh P lens and mounted on the camera.
Attached Images

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-08-2010 at 11:01 AM.
02-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter

aleonx3 Thanks for that. My Sears lens is not a problem on any of my cameras.

I'll replace the pin the Rikenon and see if that works.

This is why I asked first. The Rikenon only has one pin. The other lenses shown in the instructions on how to remove that one pin, had several different pins, not just one. So maybe that's the difference in our lenses.
02-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I decided to leave the pin out and now it mounts on both the K100D and the ZX-5 with no problems. Removal is fine too. Now I've got a working 50mm. Thanks all who helped.

05-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter

My operation on the 50mm isn't right. The pin in question was not the pin that stops the Ricoh lens from unmounting on DSLRs. It was the pin that controls something else because now I have a 50mm that will only shoot wide open. Aperture ring does not change blades.

And I can't find the pin to put it back in.
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The pin doesn't have anything to do with the aperture.
You might have dropped something from the disassemble or a spring got unhooked.
I know there is a small spring inside the lens that hooks to the aperture ring.
Take it apart again and look closely at how everything should reassemble.
If you move the aperture lever, it should spring back into place, if not, you missed a small spring.
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you place the aperture on the smallest opening (22 or 16 or something), try to move the aperture lever..this is the lever sticking out of the back of the lens.
This lever should open the aperture at its widest and when released by the finger should spring back into place and close the aperture at the smallest opening you set on the aperture ring.
If that does not happen, then you definitely lost a spring or it just got unhooked inside the lens.
The hookup should be where you took out the back of the lens to get the pin out.
05-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I believe OP has got the problem resolved in another thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101482-no-aperture-control.html

05-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter

xjx is right. I knew I should have replied here too. The lens is fixed and working thanks to xjx and the suggestion to check the diaphram accuation lever. It wasn't in the bracket that holds it in place.
05-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
xjx is right. I knew I should have replied here too. The lens is fixed and working thanks to xjx and the suggestion to check the diaphram accuation lever. It wasn't in the bracket that holds it in place.
That usually is the case and glad that you figured it out.
There are times that the spring also gets detached that the actuation lever won't spring back.
Did that once when I dismantled a lens for this purpose of taking off the Ricoh pin too but I also figured it out.
I guess this thread is also closed.
08-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm for removing the whole thing. It is easy and quick. By grinding it down you increase the chance of filings working their way into the mount and then into your camera. (I also was able to save the pin that I removed from a Sears lens in the unlikely event I would ever want to use with a Ricoh camera. Grind it down and it is gone.) This is an excellent "how to do it" that has probably been referenced earlier:

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
04-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #27

MY Experience with 'KR' Lens - thought I'd share

Thanks to this thread, I now have a "name for my pain" - my nightmare when, after a long hiatus, I went to a camera show & swap meet in New Jersey (2nd Sunday Camera Show) with my new K20D in hand. I was happy as a clam and looking forward to getting old Pentax/compatible lenses to add to my collection - and now had a DSLR that would TAKE them!

On a mission to find a LONG telephoto lens (over 300mm) to take nature pics with, I stopped at a vendor who had a SLEW of lenses of all different camera mount types. Asked him for Pentax K-mount zoom lenses, and he brought up a box filled with them. Picked through and found one that was 350mm. Mounted it and looked through. It was kinda dirty and it didn't go far enough for me. Oh well, thought I'd try another.

Pulled down my lens release lever, twisted and.... LOCK!!! Would NOT budge! Tried like heck, vendor tried, other photogs tried... NOTHING, it would NOT budge. Ended up spending my time there getting tools and tried to disassemble the lens to get to the insides to try and release it. Having NOT known about those "Ricoh Pins", I thought it was that the release somehow broke.

Sent it off to Pentax to free the ring off of the mount, and they ended up having to put a new mount on the camera - cost me around $500 in repairs (all the "forcing" trying to get the lens off damaged the camera!) Totally, TOTALLY sucked!! Anyhoo, I haven't been back to the camera show since (many years ago) because I was paranoid of it happening again.

However, now that I know what to look for, I can stay CLEAR of those "KR" lenses -OR- at least know NOT to mount it to my camera until the pin is removed from the lens!