Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
My guess the Cameta guy was just trying to sell something he had in stock rather than what the customer wanted (bird in the hand mentality). I miss the days before the internet killed the local camera store where you could talk to a knowledgeable photographer week after week who would help you pick the gear that would help you take the kind of photographs you wanted to take and then help you learn how to use it once you finally decided to drop some coin (since he knew you would come back). I'm not sure why the online stores have not yet successfully figured this out.
It's really tragic - you just basically described my local camera store exactly. They even use heavy brown paper bags.

However, I can't possibly afford to support them because our local Pentax distributor has crazy prices. It's tragic. Just so you know what I mean by crazy, in most cases, I could mail order the item TWICE from B&H, and if only one of them turned up, I'd still be saving money compared to buying locally.

06-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
A while back I was talking to a fellow who works in the camera dept. at the local Future Shop, he was one of 50 Future Shop sales staff that Canon flew to Toronto, wined and dined them for a couple of days, put them through a couple of Canon workshops and sent them home with a Rebel kit for their own use.
Future Shop??? All their stores went out of business in this area several years ago - I was told by a store manager that the entire chain went bankrupt. You mean they're still alive in Canada?
06-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of what I have read on this thread is the facts of life.

Sales.

I been in the sales business going on 17 years and have been through mergers and having to deal with PO'd customers etc.

The K2000 and the K7 are good signs that Hoya/Pentax is trying to stay competitive in the market; but they have to please the customer.

The customers are the ones who allow me to pay my bills and Pentax is no different.

If we Pentax users are pleased with the product and the easy availability of it as well, then it is all good for both parties involved.
06-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I would love to support a local Pentax dealership or a camera store that carried Pentax gear within 100 miles of me.

If there *was* one.

06-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by canyontraveler Quote
In my search for a good deal on a Pentax lens, I called Cameta Camera for the second time in a week. Last week they told me they did not have the Pentax 55-300mm in stock and to call back. When I did so today, one of the salesman told me he 'had bad news', they would not be getting any more Pentax lenses in stock nor any other Pentax products as there was some kind of dispute between Pentax and Cameta.
As I ordered my K20d from this company and was pleased with their price and service I was pretty disappointed. Cameta is (or was) an authorized dealer for Pentax and was wondering if anyone had herd if Pentax was having some kind of sales problems or maybe this is just some gripe with Cameta.
Just curious. Why do you assume this is a Pentax problem and not a Cameta problem?
06-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I would love to support a local Pentax dealership or a camera store that carried Pentax gear within 100 miles of me.

If there *was* one.
I would love to do that too, but the only little shop that sells Pentax here sells them for what you can buy them straight from Pentax for. Unfortunately, B&H got my business instead and $150 cheaper, too.
06-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
I would love to do that too, but the only little shop that sells Pentax here sells them for what you can buy them straight from Pentax for. Unfortunately, B&H got my business instead and $150 cheaper, too.
I might buy some of the big ticket items online, but I'd still get all my accessories and supplies locally (if I could). Look at it as supporting the local economy, helping out a small businessman, and pre-paying for local support & service...

06-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Future Shop??? All their stores went out of business in this area several years ago - I was told by a store manager that the entire chain went bankrupt. You mean they're still alive in Canada?
Future Shop *and* Best Buy are both still alive in Canada (and have the same owner, actually). Aren't we lucky ?