Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Pentax Problems ?

In my search for a good deal on a Pentax lens, I called Cameta Camera for the second time in a week. Last week they told me they did not have the Pentax 55-300mm in stock and to call back. When I did so today, one of the salesman told me he 'had bad news', they would not be getting any more Pentax lenses in stock nor any other Pentax products as there was some kind of dispute between Pentax and Cameta.
As I ordered my K20d from this company and was pleased with their price and service I was pretty disappointed. Cameta is (or was) an authorized dealer for Pentax and was wondering if anyone had herd if Pentax was having some kind of sales problems or maybe this is just some gripe with Cameta.

06-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by canyontraveler Quote
In my search for a good deal on a Pentax lens, I called Cameta Camera for the second time in a week. Last week they told me they did not have the Pentax 55-300mm in stock and to call back. When I did so today, one of the salesman told me he 'had bad news', they would not be getting any more Pentax lenses in stock nor any other Pentax products as there was some kind of dispute between Pentax and Cameta.
As I ordered my K20d from this company and was pleased with their price and service I was pretty disappointed. Cameta is (or was) an authorized dealer for Pentax and was wondering if anyone had herd if Pentax was having some kind of sales problems or maybe this is just some gripe with Cameta.
Not surprising. With the economy in the tank many dealers in Ontario have Special Order or Limited Quantities on most Pentax products. Henrys does stock some items, but not anything like the overpriced DA 60-250, limited lenses or the Da200/300.

I have also found some of my Canon lenses Special Order now too.

Pentax Canada is clueless on how to deal with retail. They were in FutureShop at one time but have disappeared there. This chain could really help Pentax exposure in Canadian retail. I hope Pentax gets their act together as that K-7 is going to kick @SS, and when lenses are hard to get, many people may retreat to an inferior model from another brand.
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
According to my camera shop they were sent a notice from Pentax around the first of the year stating that they would no longer be able to buy direct because their sales volume ($) did not meet the new required figure (I don't remember what it was but it was in the six figure range). They now had to order through a distributor/wholesaler and the orders that had been placed were cancled (wifes k-m and best friends w60) these were to have been Christmas presents. I don't think this was good buisiness on Pentax's part as the camera store was more than willing to sell them and brag about how nice a camera it was right along side being a dealer for the big C word.

Happy ending they got me the w60 by calling in a favor and instead of a k-m my wife ended up with a K20 at a good price, better late than never I guess.

Let the people who want to sell your product sell it don't worry about the ones that don't.
06-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cameta and Pentax??

There is a Dutch Cameta store in the Netherrlands...
"Pentax?? No, that does not sell so we don't have it".
Must be Pentax revenge then.

06-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
According to my camera shop they were sent a notice from Pentax around the first of the year stating that they would no longer be able to buy direct because their sales volume ($) did not meet the new required figure (I don't remember what it was but it was in the six figure range). They now had to order through a distributor/wholesaler and the orders that had been placed were cancled (wifes k-m and best friends w60) these were to have been Christmas presents. I don't think this was good buisiness on Pentax's part as the camera store was more than willing to sell them and brag about how nice a camera it was right along side being a dealer for the big C word.
A while back I was talking to a fellow who works in the camera dept. at the local Future Shop, he was one of 50 Future Shop sales staff that Canon flew to Toronto, wined and dined them for a couple of days, put them through a couple of Canon workshops and sent them home with a Rebel kit for their own use.

Now which brand do you think those folks are going to be pushing at their respective outlets? That's the kind of marketing that gets Canon the market share they enjoy. I know so many people that own a Rebel and were just not informed about alternative brands ...perhaps Nikon which also has great brand recognition with todays consumers. I have been a Pentaxian for 40 years so I know the brand from the days when they enjoyed the same level of brand recognition as Canon and Nikon ...if not more so back then.

PS. I never buy my camera gear from Future Shop ...either London Drugs if buying locally, or Henry's, B&H, Visitek or The Camera Store if buying on line.

Last edited by MikePerham; 06-03-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Afterthought!
06-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that Cameta Camera is a relatively small operation and does the majority of its business on eBay selling "kits". I'm not saying that is good, bad or indifferent so please do not infer any drama as none is implied.
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

BH and Adorama has them in stock.

06-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Keep in mind that Cameta Camera is a relatively small operation and does the majority of its business on eBay
they have a lot of sales on Amazon too, so it is not a fact about eBay.
06-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

Not Only Cameta Camera !

Here in Los Angeles, one of the biggest camera retailers no longer carries Pentax.

I think Hoya is pretty tough to deal with.

It may be that Hoya feels with them now owning Pentax and producing quality products that are at the top of their class, along with larger advertising dollars they will be spending they don't need to bend over backwards. Public demand may force retailers to stock their products.

I could be wrong, but just a thought.

wll
06-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Years ago I was in sales and there was an old saying that I went by:

"You can't sell from an empty wagon."

Hoya take heed.
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Here in Los Angeles, one of the biggest camera retailers no longer carries Pentax.

I think Hoya is pretty tough to deal with.

It may be that Hoya feels with them now owning Pentax and producing quality products that are at the top of their class, along with larger advertising dollars they will be spending they don't need to bend over backwards. Public demand may force retailers to stock their products.

I could be wrong, but just a thought.

wll
What advertising dollars? I haven't seen any Pentax advertising.

I never put any stock in the Chicken-Littles around here, who are always proclaiming that "Pentax is doomed" if they don't release a full-frame camera; if they don't increase the continuous frame rate to 20fps; if they don't totally revamp the autofocus mechanism; ad nauseum.

However, if this really is Pentax/Hoya's attitude, then I *DO* believe that Pentax is doomed. I don't really believe that they think this way. Pentax represents such a minuscule share of camera sales, that there is no way they can pull this off. The retailers would, rightly, tell Pentax/Hoya, to "Get lost, we sell eight times as many Canikons as we do Pentaxes".

Frankly, though, I don't understand some of Pentax' business practices. This isn't the first time I've heard that Pentax is trying to strong-arm retailers into buying ever larger quantities of merchandies. Shortly after the merger, they got rid of most, if not all, of their field reps, who communicated with local dealers. None of this makes any sense. Pentax isn't big enough to get away with that.

If half of what I've read is true, Pentax seems to be making a very concerted effort to make it difficult for retailers to carry their products. Maybe they have some secret master plan that we mere mortals can't understand, but it doesn't seem very smart to me to effectively force your retailers to stop selling your products. Even depending exclusively on big box stores and mail/online retailers like B & H and Adorama can backfire. A lot of people go to a brick and mortar camera store, examine and try the cameras they are interested in, and then order from B & H. Its not fair to the local retailer, but that's the way it is. Few people, other than the faithful, will buy Pentax when they have only been able to hold Canon, Nikon and Olympus products in their hands.

Pentax should be making it as easy and profitable as possible for a local retailer to stock and sell Pentax products. That includes advertising, trade credit, training and local representation.
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
What advertising dollars? I haven't seen any Pentax advertising.
I hope Pentax doesn't waste a dime advertising the K-7 to coach potatoes, it's now 2009 and anyone with half a brain that is shopping for a DSLR knows everything there is to know about it from the internet.
Pentax K-7 - Bing Video
06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Actaully, the relationship between Pentax and Cameta is quite strong. Once I saw this post, I checked with the our Account Manager, who discussed this with Cameta. They actaully tracked down the store employee on the call and reprimanded them for giving incorrect information.
06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Ha! Good call John.
06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Actaully, the relationship between Pentax and Cameta is quite strong. Once I saw this post, I checked with the our Account Manager, who discussed this with Cameta. They actaully tracked down the store employee on the call and reprimanded them for giving incorrect information.
My guess the Cameta guy was just trying to sell something he had in stock rather than what the customer wanted (bird in the hand mentality). I miss the days before the internet killed the local camera store where you could talk to a knowledgeable photographer week after week who would help you pick the gear that would help you take the kind of photographs you wanted to take and then help you learn how to use it once you finally decided to drop some coin (since he knew you would come back). I'm not sure why the online stores have not yet successfully figured this out.