Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where are the missing pixels?

I know this is a totally newbie question but I can't figure it out. My camera has and is set at 5 megapixels. However, when I look at the files, some pictures are 1.3 megapixels, others are 780 megapixels, etc. I never see any files above 2 megapixels. Does jpeg compress megapixels? Is it whether I use the zoom or not? The color (snow vs flowerbed) of what I'm shooting? I'm doing something wrong? Thanks in advance, Ken Reed.

06-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
yes, jpegs compresses the image file, but the image still consists of 5 megapixels.
06-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenhreed Quote
I know this is a totally newbie question but I can't figure it out. My camera has and is set at 5 megapixels. However, when I look at the files, some pictures are 1.3 megapixels, others are 780 megapixels, etc. I never see any files above 2 megapixels.
I'm just guessing....

I think you are mixing up resolution (in megapixel) and file size (in megabyte). They are two different animals.

Assuming you are using Windows....

In Windows Explorer, select the file of the photo, then right click on the mouse and left click on "Properties" (normally last item in the pop-up menu.

In tab General, you see the file size in terms of MB.

In tab Details, you see the Dimensions in terms of pixel (Width X Height). The product of Width X Height should be close to 5 megapixels.