Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The genuine ones made by Giottos are already filtered.

I do have a genuine Giottos Rocket-Air and this is good to know.

Thanks!

06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Well..this is how I"ve cleaned the bowels of my cameras for years with no problems. Firstly blow out dust hairs etc with canned air keeping can upright and camera pointing downhill. Then take two clean microfibre cloths,one damp and one dry. Wipe the mirror with the damp one (very, very lightly,) then wipe with dry one. Plug camera into transformer and raise mirror. Wipe sensor (very very,very lightly) with damp one then finish with dry one. All done and inside of camera immaculate!!! Of course only do this if necessary and not because you feel like doing it. Don"t do it if you are or have recently consumed alchohol or strong coffee.! There are some who will be aghast at this suggestion and method of cleaning, good for you, but it works for me and has done for years !!! The secret is BE GENTLE.......by the way...no responsibility taken as I have no control over your finger or your nervous tic !!!!
06-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

There is indeed a glass filter over the sensor, and the dust/hair is on its surface.

If you are not happy cleaning yourself, definitely get it done professionally.

However, I have had really good results (perfect) with the Dust-Aid system (I still use the older one when needed). It has cleaned perfectly every time on a *istDL, a *istD, a K100D and my K20D when it won't shake off.

Any spots you can see in the viewfinder won't show on pictures (lens surfaces are normally not in the focal plane and the sensor is out of the path till the mirror is up)
06-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bychan Quote
Recently I've noticed what appears to be dust spots in certain images, examples being the blue skies. The rocket blower fails to get rid of them.
Here is what most of the professionals seem to use in the repair centers:

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

It's made by the LensPen folks and called a SensorKlear pen. The link is to their system which includes a magnifying loupe so you can see the sensor and any dust.

It is actually easy to do but you want to make sure you use your blower and also take a peek to ensure any gritty parts are gone. I use just the SensorKlear II pen because I already have a couple lighted 20x monocle loupes so no need to buy the whole kit. It takes only a few minutes to do it right.

If in doubt do some Googling and you will see a lot of folks have left the whole wet cleaning thing behind in favor of this system as it's fast, can be done in the field and also less chance of leaving residue behind.

I was very skeptical of this but even more so of wet cleaning...I really recommend this method of cleaning. Like I say, search around and I think you'll find it's a good option.