Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Filthy sensor

Recently I've noticed what appears to be dust spots in certain images, examples being the blue skies. The rocket blower fails to get rid of them.

A friend, who is an experienced DSLR user, said that he would clean it for me.

However the problems now seem much worse than they were before; I can now even view some spots through the viewfinder (they appear regardless of the lens used).

Images 1-3 were taken after the cleaning operation, whilst the last was taken beforehand. The last image doesn't convey the true extent of the then problem.

I presume my next and only option would be to have the camera cleaned professionally?

If this is the road to take, can anybody recommend somewhere in the UK for this?

Kind regards.
Adrian

Last edited by bychan; 05-10-2010 at 04:13 PM.
06-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does actually seem that there's more dust after than before the 'cleaning'.
I'm not sure your cam's sensor was cleaned properly, or the more obvious streak and flecks of dust in the top right would not be there afterwards.

What is your camera? If it's a *ist D, K100D or K110D, you're probably looking at professional cleaning (sorry I can't recommend any).

If it's a K10D/K20D/K200D, that dust should be able to come off with a few passes of the dust reduction sensor shake with rocket blowing in between.

I'm assuming you're working in a low-dust area with ventilation and have a filtered rocket blower to avoid it sucking up air with dust and blowing that dust right back onto the sensor. I think you'll find these points important when cleaning.

But either way, if you're not confident cleaning the sensor yourself, a professional clean is warranted. All the best in that.
06-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It does actually seem that there's more dust after than before the 'cleaning'.
I'm not sure your cam's sensor was cleaned properly, or the more obvious streak and flecks of dust in the top right would not be there afterwards.

What is your camera? If it's a *ist D, K100D or K110D, you're probably looking at professional cleaning (sorry I can't recommend any).

If it's a K10D/K20D/K200D, that dust should be able to come off with a few passes of the dust reduction sensor shake with rocket blowing in between.

I'm assuming you're working in a low-dust area with ventilation and have a filtered rocket blower to avoid it sucking up air with dust and blowing that dust right back onto the sensor. I think you'll find these points important when cleaning.

But either way, if you're not confident cleaning the sensor yourself, a professional clean is warranted. All the best in that.
Sorry, the camera's a K100D Super.
Unfortunately the built-in dust removal and Giottos rocket blower don't seem to remove the contaminants.

Regards
Adrian
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then it needs a pro clean unless you feel you can clean it yourself, like with any of the dry/wet methods available (or Pentax's own sensor cleaner, the 'sticky stick' I call it).

06-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bychan Quote
However the problems now seem much worse than they were before; I can now even view some spots through the viewfinder (they appear regardless of the lens used).
Umm, if you can see them in the viewfinder, then they can't be on the sensor. If they don't change with the lens, then they must be on the focus screen. However, dust on the focus screen won't show up in the pictures, so your explanation has some inconsistency...
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

Then it needs a pro clean unless you feel you can clean it yourself, like with any of the dry/wet methods available (or Pentax's own sensor cleaner, the 'sticky stick' I call it).
The Pentax sensor cleaning wand works as advertised. One benefit to using this is you can also safely use this on the focus screen.

I was very concerned about trying to clean the focus screen after reading all the warnings about leaving it alone because it doesn't impact the image & the risk involved with scratching the focus screen, but it was one of the easiest things with the wand.
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Umm, if you can see them in the viewfinder, then they can't be on the sensor. If they don't change with the lens, then they must be on the focus screen. However, dust on the focus screen won't show up in the pictures, so your explanation has some inconsistency...
I explained that some of the spots appear through the viewfinder, and not all.
I fail to see where my explanation has inconsistencies, where I've explained to the best of my judgment what the problem is.

Wherever the contaminants live, be it sensor or focus screen, all I'm seeking is positive advice in resolving the problem.

This post has been placed in the beginner's forum, as that is what I am; If I knew where my unwanted guests resided I would gladly evict them.
If as it seemingly seems I cannot, then I will need to seek professional advice, hence the reason why this thread was opened.

Umm, from the above information, what is your conclusion and what do you advice?

Adrian

06-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had excellent results with the Arctic Butterfly system. In fact this thread reminds me I accidentally got two of them at once (don't ask) and so should sell one.

I should say, however, that cleaning shouldn't be necessary that often if you are careful with lens changes.
06-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Be sure you hold the camera facing DOWN when you use the blower. That way the dust particles will fall OUT of the cmaera and not just settle back on the sensor.
06-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #10

...and have a filtered rocket blower to avoid it sucking up air with dust and blowing that dust right back onto the sensor.
I have thought about this dilemma, and I have not had to use my rocket blower on my sensor yet, just lenses and such. But if you are sucking up ambient air full of dust and particles, then shooting that at your sensor, that does not sound like a good thing.

So how does one "filter" their rocket blower?

Do they make filter attachments?

Should I cover the intake air hole with cheesecloth or something?

Curious minds want to know.
06-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bychan Quote
I explained that some of the spots appear through the viewfinder, and not all.
I fail to see where my explanation has inconsistencies, where I've explained to the best of my judgment what the problem is.

Wherever the contaminants live, be it sensor or focus screen, all I'm seeking is positive advice in resolving the problem.

This post has been placed in the beginner's forum, as that is what I am; If I knew where my unwanted guests resided I would gladly evict them.
If as it seemingly seems I cannot, then I will need to seek professional advice, hence the reason why this thread was opened.

Umm, from the above information, what is your conclusion and what do you advice?

Adrian
Sorry if you misread my tone - I was simply looking for a little bit more detailed explanation as your first post seemed to contradict itself somewhat.

In any case, a sensor cleaning is in order - I would use either the official Pentax sensor cleaning kit, or PecPads and Eclipse fluid. You can use them to clean the focus screen as well. There are several videos on YouTube that give you step by step instruction (search for "sensor cleaning").

Hope this helps...
06-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jay Bird Quote
I have thought about this dilemma, and I have not had to use my rocket blower on my sensor yet, just lenses and such. But if you are sucking up ambient air full of dust and particles, then shooting that at your sensor, that does not sound like a good thing.

So how does one "filter" their rocket blower?

Do they make filter attachments?

Should I cover the intake air hole with cheesecloth or something?

Curious minds want to know.
The genuine ones made by Giottos are already filtered.

If you have a generic blower, maybe stuffing a cigarette filter inside the nozzle would help...
06-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

Try the rocket blower. I've had my K10 for years and never needed anything more. Maybe I'm just lucky

Do make sure that you use the sensor cleaning option in the menus, and point the camera down when using the blower as previously mentioned. Also, don't go too crazy with the force, or stick the blower tip inside the camera. I've heard of people causing real problems that way.

Personally, I've never found the K10 dust removal to be much good, so I don't think you're missing much there.

Good luck!
06-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It is a very, very poor job done. I'm sorry to see this.

Cleaning yourself is an option, it is not very difficult with the right tools, but perhaps not this time.

There is a small hair in the right top corner, that should go with a blower.
If a blower doesnot get rid of the dirt, the best option is to use wet and dry sweeps.

The only REAL danger is having grains of sand or any other hard and scratching stuff on the sensor surface. Sweeping them would scratch the sensors surface and damage the camera.
Normally the chance of getting that kind of object stuck on the sensor is extremely low, however, since somebody has done this to your camera there is no way telling what it is that's stuck on there.

I'd advise you to:
- Have the camera cleaned professionally this time. It costs € 15 here in my local camera shop in Holland.
- Get yourself a proper set of cleaning tools, since this will happen to you again. If you can clean yourself, you will be self supporting when travelling.

Success,

- Bert
06-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
The only REAL danger is having grains of sand or any other hard and scratching stuff on the sensor surface. Sweeping them would scratch the sensors surface and damage the camera.
Keep in mind that you're NOT cleaning the sensor itself, but the low-pass filter in FRONT of the sensor, which is a rather hard piece of glass. Scratches are still possible if handled carelessly, but it's a lot tougher than most people think.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I'd advise you to:
- Have the camera cleaned professionally this time. It costs € 15 here in my local camera shop in Holland.
- Get yourself a proper set of cleaning tools, since this will happen to you again. If you can clean yourself, you will be self supporting when travelling.
This is good advice. I would only add that you should see if the shop that does the cleaning will allow you to watch so you'll have a better idea how to do it next time.