Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #1

Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

Hi all,

I have just got me a new Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens, along with a screw mount adaptor for my K10D. Does anyone have any advice on using this lens? I know its a manual lens but is there anything else I have to set or do to make it work? Any info would be great

06-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just turn on the "use aperture ring" and "focus confirmation with S lenses" in the menu and you'll be good to go =) AF confirmation still works with this lens. If you half press the shutter or the AF button (if you've set it to use the AF button) it will blink once you achieve focus.

Focus wide open, then stop down, either with clicking the rings or with the auto/manual switch (I prefer the switch). Takumars are amazing lenses. Cheers.
06-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon_bro Quote
Hi all,

I have just got me a new Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens, along with a screw mount adaptor for my K10D. Does anyone have any advice on using this lens? I know its a manual lens but is there anything else I have to set or do to make it work? Any info would be great
Yes! If you didn't buy a screw mount adapter from Pentax (Pentax Brand), then I have found that the, often Chinese, adapters need to be sanded down on the back just a tad before they fit flush with the lens. Also, you might consider super gluing the adapter to the back of the lens if you plan on keeping it forever/never removing it.
06-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Super Tak 50/1.4

I have that lens and use it on my K10D. As Andi Lo said, set the camera to allow use of the aperture ring.

Be careful about supergluing the adapter to the lens. There is a flat sheet-metal spring that, on a normal adapter, catches something inside the mount and keeps the adapter firmly attached to the camera. The adapter does NOT work with the lens release button.

I have removed the spring from my adapter. This means that only friction is holding the adapter/lens to the camera. In my case, this is enough. I think that if you don't remove the spring and superglue the adapter to the lens, you won't be able to remove it.

The instructions say to unscrew the lens, leaving the adapter in the camera. Then, using a fingernail, or the tool supplied with some adapters, reach in and push the spring back, so that the adapter can be turned. If you can't remove the lens, you can't reach the spring.

With the spring removed, my adapter stays on the lens and there is enough friction to hold the lens securely to the adapter and the adapter securely to the camera. Others have reported that the adapter is a little loose. BTW, mine is not a genuine Pentax adapter. I have not had the problems that some have reported with non-Pentax adapters. Just make sure that yours does not have the large flange that prevents infinity focus. The adapter should fit entirely inside the lens mount opening on the camera.

In use, I just set the camera to Av mode and use stop-down metering, as I used to do on my Spotmatic. That's the way I learned, back in the sixties, when my Spotmatic was new, so it doesn't bother me.

I love the fact that my dslr can use these old lenses, and they work well. The meter works, albeit in stop-down mode, SR works, and focus-trap works. My brother has a Nikon D200 and his original Nikon F. The lenses from his F won't even mount onto his D200 without a visit to a machine shop. Even then, he has no image stabilization and the light meter won't work.

06-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I have that lens and use it on my K10D. As Andi Lo said, set the camera to allow use of the aperture ring.

I love the fact that my dslr can use these old lenses, and they work well. The meter works, albeit in stop-down mode, SR works, and focus-trap works. My brother has a Nikon D200 and his original Nikon F. The lenses from his F won't even mount onto his D200 without a visit to a machine shop. Even then, he has no image stabilization and the light meter won't work.
Does your camera fire when the body is set to AF with your lens attached and not in focus? Both of mine do with not only this lens (Super Tak 50 1.4), but a couple of others as well. (Super Tak 55 1.8, 50 macro 4)).