Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Dust?

Hello Pentaxians,

I need some advice. After taking some pictures of clouds today, I noticed what looks like dust/lint in some of my pics. I used the dust alert system in my K-m and there didn't seem do be any dust. I also used the dust removal system to shake whatever may be on the sensor. Took some more shots of the sky and the particle is still there. I switched lenses, but the particle still shows up in some pics. I used a rocket blower to blow air into the camera body, but that didn't help either. What's my next step?

Thank you.

Here is what it looks like. It's in the bottom right area of the image.

06-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sure looks like dust/dirt to me. I suppose you could clean your lenses to be certain they aren't the issue, but I would still bet that it is on the sensor. Take a pic of a white wall at f22 and it should show up clearly. If it doesn't come off with the things you tried, you probably need to use a sensor swab. They are really easy to use (if a tad expensive). I've heard others swear by the arctic butterfly, but haven't use it myself.
06-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll try that. I'm taking pics at my gf's graduation today so I don't have time to clean it. Hopefully the dust doesn't show up. I

Thank you.
06-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want to reduce the likelihood of it showing up, shoot at larger apertures (smaller f-numbers). It's often invisible, or at least much more subtle, below f/8.

When running the in-camera dust removal, try it a dozen or so times in a row. I often find that works when a single iteratin doesn't.

And if that doesn't work, don't give up on the blower yet. The biggest issue with the rocket blower is *seeing* the dust. Once you can actually see it on the sensor, the better chance you have of blowing it off. both because you can aim better, and you can keep blowing until you 8see* that yo were successful. So go somewhere where the light is very good, put on your reading glasses if necessary, and actually look for the dust on the sensor. That big snaky one should be very easy to spot, and those usually do blow off quite easily once you find them. BTW, you *are* putting the camera in "sensor cleaning" mode, right? Blowing air doesn't do any good with the mirror down! You've got to use the sensor cleaning mode to lock the mirror up - that's the only way to get at the sensor.

Running the dust-removal a dozen times and then, if necessary. trying the rocket blower in good light where you can actually *see* the dust is almost always effective, and doesn't take but 5 minutes.

06-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You know what, I don't think I did the mirror lock-up. I'll give that a try. Thanks!
06-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you want to reduce the likelihood of it showing up, shoot at larger apertures (smaller f-numbers). It's often invisible, or at least much more subtle, below f/8.

When running the in-camera dust removal, try it a dozen or so times in a row. I often find that works when a single iteratin doesn't.

And if that doesn't work, don't give up on the blower yet. The biggest issue with the rocket blower is *seeing* the dust. Once you can actually see it on the sensor, the better chance you have of blowing it off. both because you can aim better, and you can keep blowing until you 8see* that yo were successful. So go somewhere where the light is very good, put on your reading glasses if necessary, and actually look for the dust on the sensor. That big snaky one should be very easy to spot, and those usually do blow off quite easily once you find them. BTW, you *are* putting the camera in "sensor cleaning" mode, right? Blowing air doesn't do any good with the mirror down! You've got to use the sensor cleaning mode to lock the mirror up - that's the only way to get at the sensor.

Running the dust-removal a dozen times and then, if necessary. trying the rocket blower in good light where you can actually *see* the dust is almost always effective, and doesn't take but 5 minutes.
Marc,
That mirror lock-up did the trick. I didn't think to do that (being a newbie). I wasn't sure if I could/should turn the camera on without a lens attached. But I took off the lens and turned on the camera and did the mirror lock-up. My camera didn't explode, so I was relieved I used my rocket blower and blew air into the body. I did some test shots of the sky again and no more dust motes!

Thank you.
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the usual way to do this would be to have the lens on while turning the camera on, then go to the menu to turn on the sensor cleaning mode to lift the mirror, and *then* remove the lens. Less time spent with the lens off that way, not that it really matters.

06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Noted. Thanks again.