Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
[K200D] Stupid question, but how do I use old lenses?

I have an old 49 mm Hoya that I used with a K1000, and I've been trying to use it with K200D but with no luck.

Whenever I attach the lens and switch the camera on I get two blinking lines on the LCD display along with a blinking "F". I have the focus switch set to manual... can't figure out what else I need to do. I've ready through the manual several times but can't find anything.

06-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #2

I'm looking at the downloaded manual from pentaximaging.com and on page 226 of the manual there is a setting for using the aperture ring, item 23 in the list. If the setting is still "Prohibited", you should set it to "permitted." This should allow you to use old lenses. Don't forget to set your mode dial to "M."

I don't have this model myself but it seems that all the Pentax DSLRs have the same setting that prevents use of older lenses.
06-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no such thing as a stupid question and this one is very valid.
On my K100DS which should be similar to yours, I go to
Menu -> Custom Settings -> Using aperture ring
Make sure it is set to "permitted"
Then set the camera's auto focus switch to Manual focus

When you power up the camera it will ask for the focal lenght to adjust the shake reduction.

Just one thing: When using older lenses in DSLRs, make sure the lens is NOT a Ricoh pinned lens. Ricoh used Pentax mount back then but used an extra pin in the mount of the lens. This pin may get stuck in some DSLRs and the lens may get stuck. There are several threads on the subject but basically you want to remove the pin (easy surgery) or disable it somehow like taping over it.

Thanks,
06-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way,

You don't need to change it back. You can go back to any new lens without a problem. Just make sure the autofocus is turned on for the right lens.

Thanks,

06-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #5

I was also confused a lot when I first got my K10D and tried to use one old Chinon lens. I was really freaked out.

Wondering why Pentax set "Prohibited" as default in the first place, it provides no benefits.
06-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

See the sticky thread in the beginners' forum that gives step by step instructions on the whole procedure.
06-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ericzb Quote
I was also confused a lot when I first got my K10D and tried to use one old Chinon lens. I was really freaked out.

Wondering why Pentax set "Prohibited" as default in the first place, it provides no benefits.
To buy new DA lenses, of course.

06-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Q&A.
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just find and use the pentax or compatible pentax manual focus lenses with the "A" setting as it is easier.
That way you don't have to have aperture permission when not set to "A".
..not unless of course you take the aperture ring off the "A" setting.