Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Good Plan or Bad Plan??

Since I am relatively new to DSLR's, only have limited slr experience from a LONG time ago, and more recent experience with some advance point and shoot cameras, I am certainly a newbie.

I'm preparing to make the move up from my Panasonic FZ28 to my first DSLR. I do use many of the custom features and controls on my point and shoot, and I rarely use the auto mode, but it's still a far cry from the dslr world.

I've been looking, researching, holding, and playing with a variety of cameras from different mfg's. They all seemed pretty nice, and none of them were awful, but I was really drawn to the Pentax k2000. It felt great in my hands, had the basic features that I wanted and is budget freindly. So, I was planning to enter into the DSLR realm with this camera with the 2 lens kit for starters. As I progress, I figured that I could add lenses and eventually move up to a more advanced Pentax if I felt the need. (k7 in a couple of years??)

Am I missing anything vital or guilty of a serious oversight with this plan?

ETA:
I've only shot jpgs to this point. Are the jpg's straight out of the k200 really bad as some reveiws remark, and will I HAVE to shoot RAW? Does the k2000 come with the software to convert and edit the RAW images? I have Photoscape and it has a RAW converter- will that do the trick? How about the Silky pics software that came with my FZ28?

Here is one of my point & shoot photos taken in the backyard. (I also use my camera for web product photos)

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 06-07-2009 at 06:21 AM. Reason: ETA
06-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Only thing I think you're missing from the plan is a nice prime lens. I highly recommend the DA 40mm Limited as a great companion to the K2000. (In fact, I'd recommend that over getting the two kit lenses.)

A raw converter does come with the camera, or you can do it with free software. Or you can use the camera's in-camera converter. The in-camera JPEGs are just fine. In fact, I think they're great. They're just a different look than some of the reviewers seem to be looking for when they blow the picture up and look at the individual pixels.
06-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The kit with the two lenses is only $530, and since I do use the zoom on my point & shoot camera, I am certain that I wouldn't be happy without one. I was figuring on getting some of the well regarded pentax primes as time went along.
06-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

People who say camera jpgs are bad out of the camera seem to be lazy and spread silliness. There are all sorts of adjustments you can use to suit your taste.

Your plan is fine.

06-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
Since I am relatively new to DSLR's, only have limited slr experience from a LONG time ago, and more recent experience with some advance point and shoot cameras, I am certainly a newbie.

I'm preparing to make the move up from my Panasonic FZ28 to my first DSLR. I do use many of the custom features and controls on my point and shoot, and I rarely use the auto mode, but it's still a far cry from the dslr world.

I've been looking, researching, holding, and playing with a variety of cameras from different mfg's. They all seemed pretty nice, and none of them were awful, but I was really drawn to the Pentax k2000. It felt great in my hands, had the basic features that I wanted and is budget freindly. So, I was planning to enter into the DSLR realm with this camera with the 2 lens kit for starters. As I progress, I figured that I could add lenses and eventually move up to a more advanced Pentax if I felt the need. (k7 in a couple of years??)

Am I missing anything vital or guilty of a serious oversight with this plan?

ETA:
I've only shot jpgs to this point. Are the jpg's straight out of the k200 really bad as some reveiws remark, and will I HAVE to shoot RAW? Does the k2000 come with the software to convert and edit the RAW images? I have Photoscape and it has a RAW converter- will that do the trick? How about the Silky pics software that came with my FZ28?

Here is one of my point & shoot photos taken in the backyard. (I also use my camera for web product photos)
The FZ28 is a great camera and in some respects hard to beat by any DSLR (particulary the zoom range of that magnificant Leica piece of glass, and its great optical stabilization), but it has some week points. In fact I have one myself!
If you have had a SLR in the old days, I assume you understand the basics of photography (shutter speed, diafragma, ISO).
So, I see no obstacles for you taken the step to a DSLR.

What the k2000 will bring to you is:
- Much, much, much better dynamic range. You will only notice after you start working with it. Especially with pictures that have more contrast than the one you've included in your post.
- Much, much better noise levels.
- The true feel and ease of an optical view finder.
- Very fast response.
- Weather and dirt resistance.

In return you will have to deal with:
- Less range.
- Multiple lenses.
- Weigth and size.

The true difference is in image quality. My wife and I have been shooting side by side with the Pany and the K10D for several years now, the difference in IQ is clear.
If you find good quality pictures important and you think photography is fun, a DSLR is the way to go and like with the FZ series, the quality of the glass you use is of more importance than the camera.
Pentax makes very good glass, quality on par with your Leica lens on the FZ28 at much better price levels than the competition (with exception of Olympus). However, Oly uses Panasonic sensors with limited dynamic range.... Poor choice if you'd ask me.

Have fun with your future k2000, it is a good choice, and learn to work with RAW later.

- Bert
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's the first important point of transition: if your current camera offers Av or Tv modes, start using them now. Not that you *have* to use these particular modes on a DSLR, but they immediately put you in control of the most basic aspects of photography: aperture and shutter speed. All cameras have tons of settings, but those two and ISO are the only ones that actually matter. By using your FZ28 in Av or Tv mode, you'll be gaining experience cutting out all the other stuff and getting right to the heart of photography - exposure - which is what DSLR's are all about.

QuoteQuote:
I've only shot jpgs to this point. Are the jpg's straight out of the k200 really bad as some reveiws remark, and will I HAVE to shoot RAW?
Of course not. One reviewer might happen to prefer the JPEG from some other camera over those from the K200D; another might feel exactly the opposite. And the one most notable review that dings the K200D JPEGs (dpreview) didn't bother to compare using different settings. Which seems about as silly as test driving cars and dinging one for only getting in bar radio stations because it happened to come already tuned to some station when he got it and never bothered changing channels.

QuoteQuote:
Does the k2000 come with the software to convert and edit the RAW images?
First: do note the K200D and K2000 are different cameras. You've referred to both here.

Anyhow, yes, all Pentax cameras comes with RAW processing software. Very clumsy and har to use software, but it does produce good results. If you do start shooting RAW, I highly recommend checking out some of the more modern easy-to-use alternatives like Lightroom, Aperture, ACDSee Pro, and others that making dealing with RAW as easy as or even *easier* than JPEG, rather than old-fashioned programs like the Pentax software that makes RAW far harder.

QuoteQuote:
I have Photoscape and it has a RAW converter- will that do the trick? How about the Silky pics software that came with my FZ28?
Never heard of photoscape. The version of silkypix that came with the FZ28 probably is customized for that camera only, but you never know. The Pentax software also uses silkypix for its internals, but provides its own interface - and it's the interface that is the problem.

QuoteQuote:
Here is one of my point & shoot photos taken in the backyard.
Nice! I'm sure you'll be happy with a Pentax DSLR.
06-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
First: do note the K200D and K2000 are different cameras. You've referred to both here.

Sorry- strictly a typo on my part. I MEANT to hit the "zero" one more time, so I was refering to the k2000- sorry.

QuoteQuote:
Here's the first important point of transition: if your current camera offers Av or Tv modes, start using them now. Not that you *have* to use these particular modes on a DSLR, but they immediately put you in control of the most basic aspects of photography: aperture and shutter speed. All cameras have tons of settings, but those two and ISO are the only ones that actually matter. By using your FZ28 in Av or Tv mode, you'll be gaining experience cutting out all the other stuff and getting right to the heart of photography - exposure - which is what DSLR's are all about.
I rarely using anything but the Aperture priorty mode. Once in a while I use Program shift or Shutter priority, and I did play with the various auto and preset modes when I first got the FZ28, but didn't end up using them much beyond that experimental stage. The FZ does have a Manual exposure mode, but I haven't done too much with that either. I do use the buit-in histogram, vary the metering mode for different conditions, and employ exposure compensation and bracketing, but not the full manual mode. Perhaps I should give that a whirl.

Thanks for the tips on the Pentax software.

06-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry- strictly a typo on my part. I MEANT to hit the "zero" one more time, so I was refering to the k2000- sorry.

I rarely using anything but the Aperture priorty mode. Once in a while I use Program shift or Shutter priority, and I did play with the various auto and preset modes when I first got the FZ28, but didn't end up using them much beyond that experimental stage. The FZ does have a Manual exposure mode, but I haven't done too much with that either. I do use the buit-in histogram, vary the metering mode for different conditions, and employ exposure compensation and bracketing, but not the full manual mode. Perhaps I should give that a whirl.

Thanks for the tips on the Pentax software.
If I were you, I would get the K200D instead of the K2000.

It was Pentax's newest entry level camera until the latter arrived.

More features, especially the top mount LCD panel helps me alot when checking settings.

It is also weather sealed and you can use a wired remote and can purchase a batterey grip later.
06-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If I were you, I would get the K200D instead of the K2000.
Well, my thinking is that I am purchasing something just to get my toes wet so to speak. I already have in mind that if I take to the DSLR, down the road, I may very well step up to a more advance and expensive Pentax. The k2000 would be a back-up/travel unit, or a nice camera to introduce my family members to DSLR's. - a good "loaner".

I'm sure weatherproofing is nice, but probably not a feature that would come into play much for me. I've never owned any camera that was exposed to the "weather", moisture, etc.. I haven't used a camera with a top mounted LCD in 100 years, so I probably won't miss that feature either, but these are all good things to consider. If I decide to spend more on an "intro" DSLR, then the k200D would certainly be a good option, and I can see how it certainly offers more features. Unfortantely, it also costs 44% more. (K2000 with 2 lenses $530, K200D with two lenses $766= $236 more).

Besides, I am a small gal with little hands, and the K2000 felt PERFECT to me. In fairness, I have not held a K200D, so perhaps it would also fell "at home" in my hands. The ergos on the Canon (XS & XSi) and Sony cameras were really uncomfortable for me. The Olympus cameras were just OK, the Nikon D60 was quite nice but that VR lens seemed so HUGE. Besides, I use exposure bracketing frequently and the D60 lacks this feature. Kind of a deal breaker for me.
06-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, my thinking is that I am purchasing something just to get my toes wet so to speak. I already have in mind that if I take to the DSLR, down the road, I may very well step up to a more advance and expensive Pentax. The k2000 would be a back-up/travel unit, or a nice camera to introduce my family members to DSLR's. - a good "loaner".

I'm sure weatherproofing is nice, but probably not a feature that would come into play much for me. I've never owned any camera that was exposed to the "weather", moisture, etc.. I haven't used a camera with a top mounted LCD in 100 years, so I probably won't miss that feature either, but these are all good things to consider. If I decide to spend more on an "intro" DSLR, then the k200D would certainly be a good option, and I can see how it certainly offers more features. Unfortantely, it also costs 44% more. (K2000 with 2 lenses $530, K200D with two lenses $766= $236 more).

Besides, I am a small gal with little hands, and the K2000 felt PERFECT to me. In fairness, I have not held a K200D, so perhaps it would also fell "at home" in my hands. The ergos on the Canon (XS & XSi) and Sony cameras were really uncomfortable for me. The Olympus cameras were just OK, the Nikon D60 was quite nice but that VR lens seemed so HUGE. Besides, I use exposure bracketing frequently and the D60 lacks this feature. Kind of a deal breaker for me.
That sounds like a great plan. You certainly have done your homework and you know excactly what you want.

Welcome to the forum! Myself and the rest of us in this community will be more than willing to help in any way possible in your Pentax photographic adventures!
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You could, but at this point, I'd say you're already ready to make the adjustment to a DSLR. Only real difference will be in that changing aperture will now have a much more noticeable effect on DOF than it ever did before (DOF is always pretty large with a P&S).
06-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I always think as ergo as the #1 thing to consider... K-M have great image quality already if you shoot raw, so I'd say just get the K-M and be happy with it!
06-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not to confuse things further, but I was in the same boat as you - moving to a DLSR from the FZ28K. I picked up a new K10D on clearance (with the kit lens) for ~$400. Added a couple of inexpensive used primes (50/1.7, 28/3.5) off ebay as well. The remaining K10s are bound to get cheaper and cheaper. I'm sure it's a bigger form factor, but it seems like a lot of camera for the $.
06-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
i have recently made the transition from a kyocera m410r (theres an obscure one!) to a K20d

its like comparing apples to oranges.. but the learning curve is and has been quite large!

i find myself being dissapointed with the shots i am getting with the k20 but i know its me so i have to remind myself! i lived and breathed the m410r for over 5 years so knew every little trick to squeeze a picture out of it..

im getting there witht the k20 but its taking time, it a lot less forgiving (as previously mentioned DOF difference is massive!)

im sure as you have previous experience that you will take to it quite easily.. but if you fall into the same trap as me ... you will get frustrated... but it gets less each day

thanks

Steve
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
S.C. Sounds like you've got the bases covered. It is a very good plan and like Andi above I'm of the opinion that ergonomics are the MOST important consideration. If the camera feels natural in your hands you will like it more. If you like it more, you will use it more. If you use it more you will get better with it quicker. This will make you happier. So good personal ergonomics = happiness !
I would not worry about "the Jpeg issue" it's not really an issue. I don't own the K2000, but every other Digital Pentax I have owned (Ist DS, K10D and K20D) have multiple settings to tweek Jpeg output. Most camera reviewers will only test the camera with the default settings. If they do not like the defaults too bad. Besides there were several reviews where the default Jpegs actually got pretty good marks. Believe me it is a non issue.
Thanks for posting and welcome to PF!
BTW what do you sew? Quilts? Tapestries? Embroidery? Mixed? Clothing? I can't sew a whit myself but I have some very good friends who are massively talented in that department.

NaCl(anything beyond a popped button is 'over my pay grade' )H2O