Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Serial number question

I just got my first DSLR, a used *ist D. I know it is older now but I love it. The question I have is this: Can I find the serial number of the camera anywhere besides the little sticker on the bottom of the camera?

My camera has a gouge from a tripod right through the serial number. Only the first two numbers are clearly visible. I've looked on the box and couldn't find anything that seemed like it was the serial number.

06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the PhotoMe software that looks at all the fields included in EXIF data - that's attached to all the images you take. It has a serial number field but it lists an "internal serial number" that is not the same as the number on my camera's base plate. Sorry, I can't think of any other location for the serial number. My box is in the attic over my garage, not really convenient to access. My *ist DS has a 7 digit number.
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for the information about PhotoME. I installed it on my computer and saw the internal serial number field but it is not the same as what I can see of my serial number. I didn't realize there was so much information in the EXIF data!