Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Other flash units for trailing curtain sync photos

I've been reading up on rear curtain sync photography and would like to try it with my K2000. If I understand the manual correctly, what Pentax calls "trailing curtain sync" is the equivalent of "rear curtain sync". The manual says I can use either the built in flash or an external unit (either the AF540FGZ or the AF360FGZ). Since I'm not working right now, buying either of the AF units isn't a reality (for awhile, anyway). Can I use another external flash unit, keeping in mind using a slower shutter speed?

06-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the built-in flash can do rear-curtain sync by itself, only working with the Pentax external P-TTL models you mention. But I could be wrong - I know my manual is somewhat difficult to follow when it's talking about flash.

There are other P-TTL flash options but few cheap ones. Check out this site for tons of information, including a chart of features which adds a third term for the same feature, 2nd curtain sync. The Sakar model at the bottom of the first page is probably the cheapest:

Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide

Depending on what you want to do, you may not need a P-TTL flash for this. You'll have to adjust power manually instead. One possible flash is the Pentax AF500FTZ, an older model without P-TTL. It's not the only possible model but it has rear-curtain sync and adjustable power output in 6 steps. You can find them used for low prices, around $50, though some places still sell them for close to the former full retail. The AF400FTZ would work but only has two power settings. You can use your camera's Flash Exposure Compensation setting to get some intermediate power settings not available on the flash.
06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as I know it's not possible to get manual flash with rear curtain sync, unfortunately. You can search through the forums and see some discussion about this.
06-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
As far as I know it's not possible to get manual flash with rear curtain sync, unfortunately. You can search through the forums and see some discussion about this.
It works for my camera (*ist DS) and flash combination (AF500FTZ). The flash and camera also have TTL automatic mode but manual mode works fine.

06-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The Sigma EG 500 Super and 530 Super both have rear curtain sync capability. I used my 500 last night with my DS in manual mode. Here is an example from the first time I used it in Tv mode (The DS choose 1/60 sec?)

Tim
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It works for my camera (*ist DS) and flash combination (AF500FTZ). The flash and camera also have TTL automatic mode but manual mode works fine.
It will work with manual mode, but you need a flash that speaks the Pentax electronic protocol.

I just noticed that the Metz 36 AF-4 is finally available in the US, for $100. It's lacking some (okay, most) of the features of the Tumax/Sakar flash, but has a reputable company behind it.