Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
which zoom to get with fast 50 1.4

HI. I have a k00d super and a FA 50mm 1.4 lens (love the bokeh) and wanted to get an 18-250 (or so) to go with it. Would you recommend Pentax or Tamron? I like to take pics of flowers, landscape, family and some portrait (for advertising earrings) etc. Any other recommendations for these uses? Thanks in advance... this forum is sooo helpful!
JEn

06-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jensp2m Quote
HI. I have a k00d super and a FA 50mm 1.4 lens (love the bokeh) and wanted to get an 18-250 (or so) to go with it. Would you recommend Pentax or Tamron? I like to take pics of flowers, landscape, family and some portrait (for advertising earrings) etc. Any other recommendations for these uses? Thanks in advance... this forum is sooo helpful!
JEn
if im not mistaken they are both tamron (tamron design) you get SMC with the pentax but the Tamron is multi-caoted as well. exact same optical formula though. I could be wrong, so someone feel free to correct me, but I do believe they are the same lens.
06-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My understanding is that the Pentax and Tamron lenses are identical except for labeling (both even SMC, but I might be wrong on that point). The lenses are made by Tamron, so they both lack quick-shift manual focusing. The Tamron-branded model costs a little more, but carries a 5-year warranty over the Pentax's 1-year.
06-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

I'd say you forget about 18-250 and go with Sigma EX DC Macro 18-50/2.8 or the like from Tamron (17-50/2.8, if I'm not mistaken). They would both suit you well for landscapes, children and family, even earrings or flowers - the Sigma has minimum focusing distance really really close (like, 20cm - that's just near tip of the lens, pretty much) so you won't really even bother with being too close to the subject. So, for same/less money, you will get stuff that suits what you say you want to do much better.
I only have Sigma version of 18-50/2.8 that I got for $300 from a forum member here, and I think it's a kick-ass lens. IQ is excellent and it's very fast - so you can do bokeh with it, too - not as well as you would with a 50 though, but Sigma can focus much closer for product shots. Tamron lens has pretty good reviews, too, but I never had it, so can't say anything myself.

Bo.

Last edited by pbo; 06-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I own the Tamron 18-250 and the FA50 1.4. Along with my Sigma 105 EX Macro I really love my kit. I've used the Tamron for, landscapes, portraits, flowers, family and pretty much everything you stated. So long as you understand the strengths and weaknesses of the lens you should be okay.
06-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #6

I agree with the previous poster. I have the Tamron 18-250 and it rarely leaves my camera. I bought it rather than the Pentax because it is identical but with 5 times the warranty. It is my walk-about lens for most occasions. Knowing its abilities is the key to understanding any lens and producing good shots. Heartily recommended.