Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Ripped Off or Uninformed?

Hey!

I just purchased my first DSLR, a Pentax IST DL, -- used -- and am having some serious doubts about this deal.

In short: I get no live feed on the camera's screen, the flash is not popping up, and when I press the button to snap a picture nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing) happens.

The long story:

I purchased the camera with the following lens:

The camera's firmware is updated and able to accommodate SDHC cards.

1. When I turn on the camera, nothing displays on the screen. Shouldn't I be getting a live feed?

2. The flash is not popping up. I continuously pressed the flash button and the flash did not pop up.

3. The small screen displays a flashing "Av - -" a battery indicator, and what I'm guessing to be the number of photos remaining (46 in this case since I configured the camera to shoot in RAW and the present card is 512 mb).

4. The lens seems really old, but the seller assured me it was compatible with the camera. But this wouldn't really explain why the flash is not popping up....

update:

I just tried playing around with the camera without the lens and everything seemed to function: the flash popped up, pictures were snapped, and images were played back.

As you can tell from the picture, the lens looks extremely old, so I'm wondering if there's a fix for this... The lens seems to fit on the camera, and I can make small adjustments with the lens when looking through the viewfinder. It just won't take pictures with the lens on... So frustrating.

update #2:

Problem fixed: I had to disable a setting having to do with the "a" mode on the lens. Rookie mistake...

Last edited by davidstone; 06-09-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: update
06-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

1. No, 'life feed' (usually called live view) is a feature of point and shoots and normally is not available with DSLRs, when they are, it's usually not too intuitive anyway and only usable in certain situations.

2. Your camera might be broken in this regard, but tbh I almost never use the built in flash. If you get it advertised as perfectly functioning you might want to ask for discount though.

3. Av-- is because you're not using a lens with "A" setting. You can change aperture with aperture ring on the base/body of the lens

4. If it mounts and takes pictures, the lens should be usable. And yes it should have no relation to the flash not popping up.
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You won't be getting a "live feed" on the LCD screen as for older DSLRs, the LCD screen only serves as a "preview screen" of photos you have taken or are in the memory card.
The *ist DL doesn't have a "live view" feature that you would be able to see on the LCD screen.
Your lens, as far as I can tell is a manual focusing lens..so the AF (autofocus) function of the camera won't work on that (but lens is still compatible).
Don't know if the lens is fully manual including the aperture or it has an "A" setting that you can change the aperture via the camera.
If you can post better pictures of the lens including the front and the aperture ring, then we can better tell you about the lens and how it would work on your *ist DL.
Didn't the camera come with a manual?
If it didn't you can download the manual on the Pentax Imaging site.
Here is the link: Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

As for the flash not popping up, I haven't got a clue 'coz I myself don't have that particular model.
Somebody here who owns one or who have owned one might give you suggestions when they see this thread.
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

one more thing to add to previous posters - you might wanna change AF type to manual - it's to the right of lens mount. I'm not exactly sure, but the reason your camera doesn't fire when you press the shutter button might be because of trap focus - that is, camera fires only when subject is in focus.

06-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

welcome to the forum, by the way.
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi David.

The back screen should show something! Not live feed, DSLR's don't work that way. But you should get access to the camera's menus etc. I would try putting fresh batteries in the camera. Also does the lens have an "A" or "P" setting on the aperture ring? The aperture ring is the back most moveable ring on the lens marked with numbers like 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8.0, up to usually 16 or 22. If there is an "A" or "P" (past the lowest number) set the lens to that.
If not you have to get access to the camera's menus to set the aperture ring to "permitted". Follow the instructions (after you get menu access) in the sticky at the top of this forum entitled "Using manual lenses with your DSLR".
I'm sorry but I don't know much about the DL so I can't advise you on the popup flash.

edit: let us know how you make out

NaCl(hope this helps)H2O
06-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You are getting a lot of things to look at here as the Forum is very helpful but in this case.....please find a copy of the manual and go read it cover to cover first. The answers you are getting here are bound to be as confusing as the camera if you have no knowledge of basic DSLR operation.

06-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidstone Quote

update:

I just tried playing around with the camera without the lens and everything seemed to function: the flash popped up, pictures were snapped, and images were played back.

As you can tell from the picture, the lens looks extremely old, so I'm wondering if there's a fix for this... The lens seems to fit on the camera, and I can make small adjustments with the lens when looking through the viewfinder. It just won't take pictures with the lens on... So frustrating.
Try this:

Under Menu>Custom Setting, make sure “Using Aperture Ring” is set to “2 - permitted”, this is OFF by default.

I had the same problem with a K100d.
Those are the instructions for the K100d. Not sure where in the menus it is for the *ist, but give it a shot.
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sfdealer Quote
Try this:

Under Menu>Custom Setting, make sure “Using Aperture Ring” is set to “2 - permitted”, this is OFF by default.

I had the same problem with a K100d.
Those are the instructions for the K100d. Not sure where in the menus it is for the *ist, but give it a shot.
That is correct. You will not be able to use the shutter untill you change that setting. Also, go buy some fresh crv-3 batteries. That may be an issue as well.
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #10

Does the *ist have the Flash UP button? It seems likely to me that in buying a used camera you inherited some settings that you weren't expecting. It may be worth it to see if there's some kind of restore factory defaults options, then resetting the options you want as you learn about them.
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
hey everyone, thanks for the advice.

I finally got the camera and lens to work by playing around with the settings and disabling one of the features. Phew!

Now my issue is getting the zoom function to work. I can adjust the sharpness of the image, but the 28-80mm lens won't zoom in or out. Hopefully this is another issue that's easily fixed.

I'm loving the feel and weight of the older lenses!
06-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

You might try twisting the barrel (if there is one besides one for focusing), or pulling it forward - that's usually how they work
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I read another post like this about this particular zoom lens.
I didn't notice who posted it but he was worried that the zoom doesn't work also.
They later found out that it's not the twist zoom but the push'n'pull one.
I think it is a push and pull zoom..so, if you push or pull on the lens barrel it should move and give you the zoom function.
06-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I read another post like this about this particular zoom lens.
I didn't notice who posted it but he was worried that the zoom doesn't work also.
They later found out that it's not the twist zoom but the push'n'pull one.
I think it is a push and pull zoom..so, if you push or pull on the lens barrel it should move and give you the zoom function.
Yezzz, that was my thread also. lol.
06-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidstone Quote
Yezzz, that was my thread also. lol.
Well, sounded kinda familiar...and we now know why it was so.
Good luck on your DSLR and I hope you begin to enjoy it once you've discovered all that's need to make it function.
If you have any additional problems, then just post away.
As you can see, people here are very helpful!