Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Raw File format choice (Newbie)

I've a K20D & I'm confused abut which raw file format to use. I use Bridge, ACR & Photoshop. I set the RAW format to PEF (cos the ACR doc says K20 supported via PEF) & convert to DNG on import. This takes time. the K20 supports DNG - but is this compatible with ACR ? I note that the Adobe DNG converter converts K20 DNG to (its own?) DNG so I'm guessing not ... Also which camera calibration setting do I use after import and convert to DNG ? Camera standard or ACR 4 or adobe standard ?

Any help appreciated

06-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #2

I'm not an expert in DNG format but from what I've read the DNG from K20D (and K10D for that matter) is not compressed. The Adobe DNG converter compresses the file so you get a smaller file (with all the info nevertheless)

Converting PEF to DNG only makes sense if one believes that PEF will somehow be forgoten.

PEF is already compressed so you can squeeze more files in you SD card. Almost all image programs read the K20D PEF.

I just use PEF and forget that DNG exists.

Hope this gives some light on the matter.

Regards,
Luis
06-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
I'm not an expert in DNG format but from what I've read the DNG from K20D (and K10D for that matter) is not compressed. The Adobe DNG converter compresses the file so you get a smaller file (with all the info nevertheless)

Converting PEF to DNG only makes sense if one believes that PEF will somehow be forgoten.

PEF is already compressed so you can squeeze more files in you SD card. Almost all image programs read the K20D PEF.

I just use PEF and forget that DNG exists.

Hope this gives some light on the matter.

Regards,
Luis
All Adobe software I use (mostly Lightroom, but also PS and ACR) work with both formats.
The biggest advantage I found, for DNG, is that with exporting in DNG you will not only store the RAW data but also the edit info. So, all corrections made will be added to the DNG file without destroying the orginal data.

Mostly I work with PEF, faster and more compressed.
On my laptop, while travelling, I convert PEF to DNG while importing into Lightroom, to avoid redoing all editing at home when I copy the files to my desktop computer.

- Bert
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by holdgaj Quote
I've a K20D & I'm confused abut which raw file format to use. I use Bridge, ACR & Photoshop. I set the RAW format to PEF (cos the ACR doc says K20 supported via PEF) & convert to DNG on import. This takes time. the K20 supports DNG - but is this compatible with ACR ? I note that the Adobe DNG converter converts K20 DNG to (its own?) DNG so I'm guessing not ... Also which camera calibration setting do I use after import and convert to DNG ? Camera standard or ACR 4 or adobe standard ?

Any help appreciated
I've been using DNG since the K10 was released, and today I was very happy about it. I've been using my back up computer for the past week (mother board failure on my newer one), and had to do some work with Photoshop 7.0.
The DNG files opened in bridge, though i had to convert them to .psd out of there to get them to open in Photoshop.
I don't think I would have been able to do this with pef files.
I've never worried about camera calibration settings, I'll be using whatever the default is.
Don't try to make this any more complicated than you have to.

06-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't think I would have been able to do this with pef files.
you can do this with .PEF files as well... and while you can always convert .PEF to .DNG, you can't do it vice versa (unless you have .DNG converted from .PEF w/ .PEF embedded = twice the size) if you will decide to use a raw converter that does not have full .DNG support (like Capture One for example)...
06-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
you can do this with .PEF files as well... and while you can always convert .PEF to .DNG, you can't do it vice versa (unless you have .DNG converted from .PEF w/ .PEF embedded = twice the size) if you will decide to use a raw converter that does not have full .DNG support (like Capture One for example)...
I think that Wheatfield's point is that Photoshop 7 can't open PEF files at all, so he was saved because his camera is set to save in the DNG format.
06-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
I think that Wheatfield's point is that Photoshop 7 can't open PEF files at all, so he was saved because his camera is set to save in the DNG format.
Bingo.

more characters
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
PS7 seems to be supporting only the very ancient ACR v1.0, right ? in this case it is much better just to download a modern free rawconverter like rawtherapee and use PS7 to handle its output (.TIFF files)... can't imagine somebody willing today to be crippled by raw conversion iq offered by ACR v1.0

06-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
(mother board failure on my newer one)
What brand was it? It is quite relevant to my interests. And my field of work.

PS7 seems to be supporting only the very ancient ACR v1.0, right ? in this case it is much better just to download a modern free rawconverter like rawtherapee and use PS7 to handle its output (.TIFF files)... can't imagine somebody willing today to be crippled by raw conversion iq offered by ACR v1.0
Really? Guess I'd better hurry up and upgrade, then. I still used Lightroom 1.1, which uses either ACR 1.0 or 1.1.

Would newer a newer ACR improve the output quality of a 6MP .PEF?
06-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Would newer a newer ACR improve the output quality of a 6MP .PEF?
of course - new versions were bringing improvements to demosaicing/denoising/usm/clarity/etc...
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

of course - new versions were bringing improvements to demosaicing/denoising/usm/clarity/etc...
Alright then! Thank you for the tip. I'll be getting 2.2 soon.
06-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to mention the healing brush in LR 2. Saves a trip out to PS Elements quite often.
06-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The point is, I was able to open DNGs with what I have running right now, without having to research, download and learn how to use a new piece of software.
To me, this is an immediate and absolutely compelling advantage for DNG over PEF. I switched to DNG because of their universalness. That deicision was strongly reinforced today.