Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LosAnJulien Quote
"The GH1 is a plastic filming doohickey that can also take pictures."

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Compare the K20D and the GH1 (sorry cant paste with these selected); the GH1 beats down the K20D easily. If it was not for the fact that the GH1 doesn't have in body stabilization and very little choice in lenses I would pick it over the Pentax, unless they have screwed up somewhere the clipping is horrible and iq on the very soft side.
I looked at the shots in the link, and find that I, personally, much prefer the K20's renditions to the GH1's. YMMV.

06-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

K20 + 50-135 would definitely be more versatile, IMO. f/2.8 vs. f/5.6 at the long end makes a huge difference, unless you're only doing landscapes on a tripod.

If it were me, I'd get a K100D for ~$250 + 50-135, use it for the trip, and then sell the K100D & order the K-7 when I got back.
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"The GH1 is a plastic filming doohickey that can also take pictures."

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Compare the K20D and the GH1 (sorry cant paste with these selected); the GH1 beats down the K20D easily. If it was not for the fact that the GH1 doesn't have in body stabilization and very little choice in lenses I would pick it over the Pentax, unless they have screwed up somewhere the clipping is horrible and iq on the very soft side.
I don't need to knock the GH1 which is probably a capable enough camera but I don't see anything from that posted link that suggests the GH1 "beats down the K20D easily." (If you really believe that, buy it and enjoy). Which images or parts of images in the GH1 pictures did you think were better? For example, compare the hair in the 'indoors ISO 800' shots--the GH1 has sort of a noise-reduced smear, while the K20D still looks pretty good. At any rate there are many other factors involved beyond pixel-peeped output when comparing these cameras and their associated systems.
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I don't need to knock the GH1 which is probably a capable enough camera but I don't see anything from that posted link that suggests the GH1 "beats down the K20D easily." (If you really believe that, buy it and enjoy). Which images or parts of images in the GH1 pictures did you think were better? For example, compare the hair in the 'indoors ISO 800' shots--the GH1 has sort of a noise-reduced smear, while the K20D still looks pretty good. At any rate there are many other factors involved beyond pixel-peeped output when comparing these cameras and their associated systems.
I think it was a bad comparison.

06-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I looked at the shots in the link, and find that I, personally, much prefer the K20's renditions to the GH1's. YMMV.
Albert, What brand is a GH1? I've looked through those lists and don't see it.

jimH
06-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Albert, What brand is a GH1? I've looked through those lists and don't see it.

jimH
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
06-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
A "beginner" isn't going to be able to wrap their brains around all that either the K20D or K-7 have to offer (excepting the K-7's ability to do video). Those are both "advanced" cameras. Why not save a few more pennies up front and get a K2000/Km or a K200D? They're smaller, have simpler learning curves and still produce images large enough to easily print at 16"x20".

"Bodies come and go but Lenses are forever" so it goes. So definitely get the DA*50-135/2.8 if your budget allows - it is a fantastic lens. But worry about K20D vs K-7 vs K-Q409 after you've got your brain immersed and your feet planted.

That's my $0.02 anyway.
I started taking pictures with my LX back in 1981 so am pretty confident with film, but DSLR is a whole new ball game for me so I would be considered an (absolute) beginner BUT I played with the K7 in SRS in the Uk a few weeks back and very quickly got the hang of it. It was not a steep learning curve at all as far as the menus and ability to adjust it to meter accurately with my old K lenses, and as far as the ergonomics and physical handling is concerned it is as close to a digital LX I have come across. But IMHO the K7 is not hard to find your way around and learn how to take great pictures with
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The K7 is new and already is showing bugs that Pentax has decided to not even deal with (AF with video) there will certainly be others before they get the firmware right. You get the K20 with a great lens now and then in a year you get the K7 with the latest firmware for $650 and the two cameras together cost what you would pay for the K7 when it hits.
Is the lack of AF in video a bug or deliberate? Apparently one of the problems with the Canon 500D is the AF motor noise with the internal microphone. Personally I don't think that it's too much trouble to manually adjust focus and I did so in the shop with my old SMC 50mm f1.4 attached and it was brilliant. Generally video is used differently from stills I would expect and wider lenses and greater depth of field (reducing the need to spot on focus on a specific point) might be more acceptable. Just a thought

Last edited by BODYHEAT; 06-16-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: adding content
06-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian

GH1

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Thanks for the info, I don't always understand the acronyms and abbreviations that I see here on the forum.

jimH
06-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
Pentaxian

If by slow you mean unsuable then I will skip that lens.
It is certainly not unusable. Most of the time it isn't important how long a lens takes to run through it's entire focus range. I've read more than once that if you are close to the optimal focus then the 50-135 will find the latter quickly.

I'm sure you can go through the additional features of the K-7 yourself and decide if you want them or not. I find some of them very attractive, like the improved AF, AF assist light, electronic level function, improved AWB under Tungsten lighting, the magnesium alloy body, etc.

IQ-wise the K-7 will be very close to the K20D (as many alpha testers found out). So if IQ is the only thing that concerns you and not even the improved (low-light) AF of the K-7 grabs you then I don't see how you could go wrong with the K20D.
06-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

<snip>Why not save a few more pennies up front and get a K2000/Km or a K200D? They're smaller, have simpler learning curves and still produce images large enough to easily print at 16"x20".
<snip>
try 20x30's. Easily. (k200d)
06-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BODYHEAT Quote
Is the lack of AF in video a bug or deliberate? Apparently one of the problems with the Canon 500D is the AF motor noise with the internal microphone. Personally I don't think that it's too much trouble to manually adjust focus and I did so in the shop with my old SMC 50mm f1.4 attached and it was brilliant. Generally video is used differently from stills I would expect and wider lenses and greater depth of field (reducing the need to spot on focus on a specific point) might be more acceptable. Just a thought
My understanding is that the AF in video is disabled in the K-7's release firmware, but the camera is still capable of it by design, (maybe there's something buggy or unsatisfactory about it, I haven't heard any speculation on whether or not it's something an update might fix)

As for the Canon, I don't think there's any practical way to make an internal mike that wouldn't pick up any sound from the AF. As it is, I guess if it's quiet enough, you can hear the SR moving on the K-7, but you want to use a real mike if you're worried about sound quality, anyway. .
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
try 20x30's. Easily. (k200d)
Or 24x36 - according to MPix, two images I sent them will print that large. I have 16x24 inch photo on canvas gallery wraps from the images, and I am stunned at how well they turned out.
06-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BODYHEAT Quote
Is the lack of AF in video a bug or deliberate?
Deliberate. To the best of my knowledge it was enabled in earlier firmwares but will not be available in the final one.
07-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #30
Forum Member

A "beginner" isn't going to be able to wrap their brains around all that either the K20D or K-7 have to offer (excepting the K-7's ability to do video). Those are both "advanced" cameras. Why not save a few more pennies up front and get a K2000/Km or a K200D? They're smaller, have simpler learning curves and still produce images large enough to easily print at 16"x20".

"Bodies come and go but Lenses are forever" so it goes. So definitely get the DA*50-135/2.8 if your budget allows - it is a fantastic lens. But worry about K20D vs K-7 vs K-Q409 after you've got your brain immersed and your feet planted.

That's my $0.02 anyway.
I think I disagree, speaking as a beginner, who has only owned my k20d since February and had no prior experience with anything other than cheap P&S cameras. I'm glad I opted for a camera that is a bit over my head because I feel that learning it and all its features is helping (and sometimes forcing me) to dive in and understand photography in a way that a camera more geared toward beginners probably wouldn't. It's nice to know that I have a camera that will grow with me as I learn and I don't need to upgrade anytime soon.

I think it just depends on how serious the OP wants to get about photography as a skill. Some people want to keep it simple and don't really want to learn all the ins and outs of photography and don't care about getting into all the technical knowledge and all the ways you can customize and tweak settings on their cameras, etc. But then there are beginners like me who do want to get that deep into it, KWIM?

Just my opinion