Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Image Rotation

Just to experiment, I set my K20D to auto image rotation and took pictures in the normal position, then vertical using the battery grip controls, then upside down then another 90 degrees so the grip controls were upside down.

When I went to playback mode, every picture was oriented correctly!

What a hoot! I love this camera!!!

06-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #2

Ha, neat, I never expected my K200D to handle upside-down. Not used to seeing the shadows from the built-in flash that way...
06-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it create a second file when the picture is rotated?
06-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no second file, the original is rotated in-camera.

06-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All the camera does is change the rotation field in the EXIF metadata, so the image isn't changed for rotation.
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #6

Interesting. The manual states that it will auto-rotate for pictures taken vertically with the grip up (ie right hand on top), but didn't mention it would do that for other orientations.

Well done sir!
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just did it on my K10D. Never knew it could do that. Then again, I never knew if I would take pics upside down either. I have learned a lot from this forum!

06-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Just did it on my K10D. Never knew it could do that. Then again, I never knew if I would take pics upside down either. I have learned a lot from this forum!
Sometimes, the extra 6 or 8 inches (15 or 20 cm) of height at the lens can help get a shot over something, like the impolite twit standing in front of you. Upside down can be useful - in landscape mode only, of course. For extra marks, figure out why it is better with a film SLR.
06-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Sometimes, the extra 6 or 8 inches (15 or 20 cm) of height at the lens can help get a shot over something, like the impolite twit standing in front of you. Upside down can be useful - in landscape mode only, of course. For extra marks, figure out why it is better with a film SLR.
Never thought about that either. My knowledge base is growing.............
06-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canada Rockies,

I would assume that the sensor in a DSLR is more centered in the back of the camera, whereas the bottom edge of the film in an SLR sits closer to the bottom of the camera??
06-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
Canada Rockies,

I would assume that the sensor in a DSLR is more centered in the back of the camera, whereas the bottom edge of the film in an SLR sits closer to the bottom of the camera??
Good guess. Because the film gate is 24x36 against the sensor's 16x24, the lens is a bit lower on the film SLR. The mirror is larger requiring the lens to be further from the focusing screen to be centred.
06-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #12

That was one of the beautiful design features of the LX. You could remove the viewfinder and hold the camera above your head upside down to be able to shoot over a crowd for example and look directly at the focussing screen so it acted like a waist level viewfinder (only above your head if you know what I mean)
06-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BODYHEAT Quote
That was one of the beautiful design features of the LX. You could remove the viewfinder and hold the camera above your head upside down to be able to shoot over a crowd for example and look directly at the focussing screen so it acted like a waist level viewfinder (only above your head if you know what I mean)
The LX was/is a marvellous picture machine. I drooled over it at the time when I bought my SF-1. I just could not come up with the cash for an LX and winder.
06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Upside-down is also handy for placing where the shadows fall with a shoe-mounted or pop-up flash. (oftimes when your subject is above you)
06-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #15

How do I 'Image Rotate'???

SO, I've been the proud owner of Pentax cameras now for years. In all that time I cannot figure out how to rotate the image on my camera so that I do not have to do so when I download them to my computer. I see this forum and I can't wait to hear back.

Can someone please explain how to get my K20d to automatically rotate the image?