Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

K-7 video and auto focus

I'm sure that this was discussed before though I can't seem to find this answer anywhere. Does the K-7 in video mode have auto focus capabilities?

Thanks........................Tom

06-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

in the early info, it was stated that it could AF in movie mode, but it seems like the firmware was later changed and it is not possible anymore. But I think this will change since Canon implemented AF in movie mode via a firmware in the 5D Mk II. I think Pentax will eventually try to catch-up.
06-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
I truly hope it does as I think it would be difficult to take random video especially if I ask my wife to take video without the auto focus.
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Igilligan

It does not, and will not in this camera. The next model for sure. No way they make this big of a mistake twice...

06-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I probably wouldn't use AF anyway. Contrast AF is slow, and you'd have to consciously pick your AF points, change your composition to get the AF point where you want it, and then wait as it focuses. Not exactly intuitive for anyone.

Also, movie makers always manual focus their lenses, so that's something to keep in mind.
06-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Igilligan

Oh come on... Movie makers do not manual or auto focus a camera... the have professional camera operators who spend their lives developing their skills on camera and lens platforms that are meant to be manually focused... P.S. there is AF too

Having to watch a video of my kids playing with the dog while it goes in and out of focus, while I attempt to find focus manually is certainly not like sitting in a theatre watching the cinematography of Citizen Cane. How easy is Mf gonna be on a short focus throw zoom? where just a slight turn of the focus ring sends the lens a long ways?

And what type of AF does a regular video camera have? They do not seem all that slow to me.