Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Newer lenses on *ist D

I thought I read somewhere that the Pentax DA II lenses won't work on the *ist D. Is this the case? If not, are there any newer lenses that don't work on the *ist D? I want to buy a wide-angle zoom because my 28mm M lens isn't so wide-angle anymore!

Just to add: I have seen the lens compatibility chart on mosphotos.com but it doesn't seem to have the information that I am looking for.

EDIT: Never mind. I found the information I was looking for. Strangely enough, it was in the manual for my camera body and the lens manual on the Pentax website.

Last edited by K1000_Ron; 06-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
06-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The only newer lenses that won't work are ones that have the new SDM focus motors but *lack* the old screw-drive system. The DA 18-55 II is not one of these, but I'm pretty sure the DA 17-70 is, so don't get that one.
06-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, what Marc said.
I believe the only SDM compatible "historic product" of Pentax started with the K100D super.
Every DSLR camera previous that doesn't support SDM lenses.
Anyway, even if my camera can support SDM lenses, my pocket certainy cannot support SDM lenses!
Too expensive for me!
06-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
However, I am of the opinion that SDM only lenses CAN be used in manual focus mode on any camera that supports a lens without an aperture ring. The only thing the earlier DSLR models don't have is the firmware and contacts for SDM.

06-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The only lens you need to avoid right now is the DA17-70/4 SDM, because all the other SDM-capable lenses (DA*) produced so far also offer support the classic screw-driven autofocus. The writing is on the wall, there will likely be other SDM-only lenses at some point but right now the only one is the DA17-70/4.