Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Outdated film/slides

I don't know if this belongs here but I couldn't find the forum I should have posted in.

I have a roll of Fujichrome Sensia 400. Outdated by four years. Expiration date is 12/2005. Do you think it will be ok to go ahead and use it?

06-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it's been stored propperly in a fridge or freezer it has a good chance to still be ok to use. I used 5 year old film back in March '09 (not preserved in any way) and 5 out of 24 were hazed around the edges.

The only real way to be sure is to get it developed.
06-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I'm saving it for a special shoot my sister wants to go out somewhere and shoot. Either beach scenes/ocean, or birds.....gulls, pelicans, spoonbills, sandhill cranes or woodstorks.
06-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Unless you have to use that kind of film, and you can not find it anywhere, I would not use it.

The money saved by using the film, IMHO, is not worth the risk.

06-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What do you mean, "and you cannot find it anywhere"? I already have this film, I bought it sometime in 2005. I used to keep all my film in the freezer but lately it has just been in a drawer in the dark. At least for the last year.

And I hate wasting money, so I probably will use it, though I'll probably get some regular film, and new slide film for my trip. I am not even sure when that trip will come about. I've no transportation myself and have to rely on family to go anywhere shooting if it's further than a couple of blocks. And the ocean is at least 6 miles as the crow flies, and I am not walking that far.
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As long as the film has been kept relatively cool, it should be fine. Several people in the film forum routinely use outdated dime store film with wonderful results. Check out some of jgredline's pictures.

You may notice some minor color shifts - they can usually be corrected when scanning, but often they look fine as-is.

I have some 2006 Velvia in my camera right now.