Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
For those of you who cannot visualize the age, it is not 11, nor is it 101. Try combinations of 6 and 9. Take the lower.
Funny, '88' was the first number that came to mind. But then, looking at your avatar, I discounted it.

Holding a heavy camera causes you to use muscles that aren't normally used. Perhaps a guitar player trick would help: try squeezing a raquetball for a few minutes, several times a day. Pump it with the fingertips, then with the palm. You can also squeeze it in the crease opposite the elbow to strengthen the forearm. Expect lots of cramping at first, but give it at least 2 weeks - fatigue should be gone.

Alternatively, take up shooting with a Pentax 6x7...

06-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Funny, '88' was the first number that came to mind. But then, looking at your avatar, I discounted it.
I never even thought of that one! Silly me.
QuoteQuote:

Holding a heavy camera causes you to use muscles that aren't normally used. Perhaps a guitar player trick would help: try squeezing a raquetball for a few minutes, several times a day. Pump it with the fingertips, then with the palm. You can also squeeze it in the crease opposite the elbow to strengthen the forearm. Expect lots of cramping at first, but give it at least 2 weeks - fatigue should be gone.

Alternatively, take up shooting with a Pentax 6x7...
Nah, I think taking sports with a 4x5 Graflex is a lot more exercise.
06-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #18

Original Poster
It works!

I watched the video, and I printed out Douglas of Sweden's directions, then went home and futzed around with the camera for about an hour.
With my anatomy, the easiest thing seems to be resting the left front corner of the camera right at the base of my left thumb. I would have guessed it would slip, because that doesn't look like much surface area, but it seems like a very functional and comfortable position.
I also made sure my left elbow connects to my chest, almost along the center line of the body.
I wear glasses, so the forehead thing is a little awkward, but with 2-3 tries I managed.
However, I seem to have trouble focusing left-eyed. I think my vision is a little worse in my left eye, and I should probably update my glasses anyway.
I tried using the same ideas for holding the camera vertically. I think it's actually easier to hold it so the button is down. With practice, it might be easier than using the battery grip (ack--more weight! except I know how to support it now...)

Thanks everyone! Later this weekend I'll get to do some actual shooting with it.
06-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tilling Quote
. . . . .
However, I seem to have trouble focusing left-eyed. I think my vision is a little worse in my left eye, and I should probably update my glasses anyway.

Thanks everyone! Later this weekend I'll get to do some actual shooting with it.
RE: Eyeglasses, I wear them, too, but I shoot without them on. I got an SMC +2 Correction Lens on eBay and focused the K10D diopter so the LED's are sharp (2 clicks to the right). (I have a +3 if you should by chance need it).

Keeping both eyes open is a HUGE help when changing eyes - just practice until it comes naturally.

The major downside is having to put the glasses back on to use the LCD. I had my optometrist make up new lenses for an old frames I no longer use and hang them from a lanyard - and sometimes I don't look at the LCD at all - makes taking the right shot a challenge and it feels more like film.

06-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also use an eyeloop for viewing the LCD. I have one on a lanyard and it is a bit more durable than glasses on a rope. It also allows you to see the LCD in bright light.
06-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by tilling Quote
To top it all off, I'm using a Canon 10D right now, so it's both heavier and more leveraged than, say, a Pentax DLSR.
Don't want to be a Canon basher but you've hit the nail on the head here on one of the main reasons to shoot Pentax, and the new K7 is even more user friendly and manageable due to its low weight and small footprint.

This is one of the reasons I held off buying a DSLR for so long since I was so used to carrying around my LX and everything I tried just seemed so big and clumsy and not manageable. However, with the money you'll save from switching from a heavy 'pro' Canon to a lighter Pentax you'll have to reinvest the difference in a gym membershp so your muscles don't atrophy

But seriously, whatever camera you use, especially if you are using MF lenses, hold the camera and controls in your right hand and put the palm of your left under the body/lens and adjust the focus with your left thumb and forefinger. That way your left hand is supporting it. If the weight is an issue dig your elbows into into your belly so your arms support the weight with your skeleton rather than your muscles. Another trick I used to do is to wrap the neckstrap around my right arm and elbow in such a way that it leveraged my right arm to hold some of the weight due to my skeletal structure also.