Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M42 lens' & shake reduction

Need some help with an M42 55mm f1.8 on K100D. I have been successful in using the lens and getting the meter to operate. What I am having a problem with is SR. I do not get prompted for focal length and the SR item on the menu is grayed. Also, LCD info says SR is not "on" even though switch is on. Should I be able to use SR? What am I missing. Thanks in advance for your help.

06-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Bob Quote
Need some help with an M42 55mm f1.8 on K100D. I have been successful in using the lens and getting the meter to operate. What I am having a problem with is SR. I do not get prompted for focal length and the SR item on the menu is grayed. Also, LCD info says SR is not "on" even though switch is on. Should I be able to use SR? What am I missing. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you have set the custom menu Page 3 'allow aperture ring' set to 2. Then when you turn on the camera with a manual lens it should ask for shake reduction focal length.
06-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If you have set the custom menu Page 3 'allow aperture ring' set to 2. Then when you turn on the camera with a manual lens it should ask for shake reduction focal length.
The "Allow aperture ring" has been set to 2 - permit. My understanding is that if it weren't set to 2, I would not be able to activate the shutter release. Since I have been taking pictures without problem, I clearly can activate the shutter release.
06-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the EXIF give you any indication of the lens' focal length?

06-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Does the EXIF give you any indication of the lens' focal length?
Interestingly, on the m42 images there is no focal length line on the EXIF while the line shows after iso on all my other images.
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bob,

My K100D Super works great with manual lenses, including M42 Takumars. I am prompted for the SR setting every time when I turn on the camera.

I suggest you try the following two things:

1. Make sure you have the "Using aperture ring" setting at "2" and saved. With the power turned off, remove the lens from your camera body. Then turn on the camera body with no lens attached and see if it prompts you for a focal length - it should do so.

2. If you can't get it to work, try the CUSTOM SETTING -> RESET CUSTOM FUNCTION menu item to reset your settings, then go back into the menu and set "Using aperture ring" back to "2" to allow manual lenses.

By the way, I also set "FI with S lens used" to "2" to give me the focus indicator. I have a Katz Eye focus screen, but the focus indicator is still sometimes useful.

Let us know what happens with these tests.

-Joe-
06-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Or reset everything to default.
06-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Bob,

My K100D Super works great with manual lenses, including M42 Takumars. I am prompted for the SR setting every time when I turn on the camera.

I suggest you try the following two things:

1. Make sure you have the "Using aperture ring" setting at "2" and saved. With the power turned off, remove the lens from your camera body. Then turn on the camera body with no lens attached and see if it prompts you for a focal length - it should do so.

2. If you can't get it to work, try the CUSTOM SETTING -> RESET CUSTOM FUNCTION menu item to reset your settings, then go back into the menu and set "Using aperture ring" back to "2" to allow manual lenses.

By the way, I also set "FI with S lens used" to "2" to give me the focus indicator. I have a Katz Eye focus screen, but the focus indicator is still sometimes useful.

Let us know what happens with these tests.

-Joe-
Pardon my ignorance, the K100D Super has interchangeble screens as well?

06-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks folks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the mystery continues. I took the lens off. I reset both the cust settings and the whole menu. Turned camera off and back on set Aperature setting back to permit. Turned camera off. Set SR switch to on. Turned camera back on - still no focal length prompt, still shows SR off in LCD. Nothing changed. I'm about to give up. The problem is not stopping me from taking nice images with the Tak, but it would be nice to have the SR feature available.
06-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
Mystery solved! I needed to set "FI with S lens used" to "available". Resolving this problem has re-confirmed to me 3 things:

1. The simplest things can trip you up.
2. When all else fails re-read the manual.
3. As others have noted many times, the folks on this forum are the greatest. Someone here is always willing to help.

Thanks,
Big Bob
06-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Bob,

Does SR ever work? For instance, with your kit lens and the SR switch to "on" does it work (try a very slow shutter speed like 1/2 second and you should hear it "buzzing" during exposure)? Try the dust-removal to see if it rattles when you implement it. Does the EXIF show the focal length with the kit lens?

It seems possible that the contacts on the SR switch are bad, but the SR test with the kit lens should tell you that.

-Joe-

Thanks folks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the mystery continues. I took the lens off. I reset both the cust settings and the whole menu. Turned camera off and back on set Aperature setting back to permit. Turned camera off. Set SR switch to on. Turned camera back on - still no focal length prompt, still shows SR off in LCD. Nothing changed. I'm about to give up. The problem is not stopping me from taking nice images with the Tak, but it would be nice to have the SR feature available.
06-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Excellent Bob!

I would not have thought that menu item would affect SR function. I've always had it turned on with my K100DS. I'll try without it right now...

Yep, sure enough that "FI with S lens used" must be set to "available" - since I've always liked having the focus indicator, I've never tried without until just now. I guess that menu item is the key one which tells the camera that there is an M42 lens mounted.

I'm glad to have learned something from this Bob, and glad your camera is in good shape!

-Joe-

Mystery solved! I needed to set "FI with S lens used" to "available". Resolving this problem has re-confirmed to me 3 things:

1. The simplest things can trip you up.
2. When all else fails re-read the manual.
3. As others have noted many times, the folks on this forum are the greatest. Someone here is always willing to help.

Thanks,
Big Bob