Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Will these lenses work with DSLR?

Hello- New to this forum. I am trying to clear up some confusion. I have a Pentax PZ-70 with a AF 35-80 lens and a Promaster AF 24-200 7XLD. I would like to purchase a Pentax DSLR body and use these lenses. I was told by a local camera retailer that I would not be happy with that combination. The lenses would have limited use. Can someone explain that if true?

Last edited by trk105; 06-13-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Maybe wrong forum.
06-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Was the salesman possibly trying to point you towards another brand I wonder? If you were happy with those lenses on your PZ-70, I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with them on a Pentax DSLR. They're not the best lenses out there but if you are on a budget, they are a start. You also have the option with Pentax to get an adapter and take advantage of all the great old lenses out there for reasonable prices on the used market.

Welcome to the forum by the way and this was the right forum to post in.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 06-16-2009 at 12:24 PM.
06-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok- I was looking at the KD20

I was looking at a KD20. I had paid in the neighborhood of $400. for the Promaster lens and thought it would be fine with the KD20. I guess what asking is - Are there more cons than pros with using older lenses?
06-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trk105 Quote
I was looking at a KD20. I had paid in the neighborhood of $400. for the Promaster lens and thought it would be fine with the KD20. I guess what asking is - Are there more cons than pros with using older lenses?
Two considerations that the salesperson may have been hinting at:
  1. Your lenses are not "digitally optimized"
  2. Because of the "crop factor" associated with the smaller APS-C format, your zooms will no longer be very "wide" at the wide-angle end
The first point can be dealt with to a certain extent in post-processing by bumping the contrast. My experience has been that most lenses are just fine. The second point has a positive aspect. At the long end, your Promaster will act like a 350mm. Woo! Hoo!

Steve

P.S. To calculate "35mm equivalent" focal lengths on APS-C, multiply by 1.5.

P.P.S. I only own two digitally optimized lenses...18-55 kit and Sigma 50mm Macro...

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2009 at 09:10 AM.
06-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
OK- That makes sense.

Ok- I think I will purchase a Pentax DSLR.

I will be shooting a little bit of everything and transfering to a Macbook. What is very important is the clarity of action photos of my children when they are snowboarding or riding motorcycles. I want a DSLR that can produce rapid shots with the available camera settings.

Is the KD20 overkill for what I want to do? I have also looked at the K2000.
06-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is the KD20 overkill for what I want to do? I have also looked at the K2000.
The K2000 is a perfectly capable camera; the K20D is better (although much bigger). Either will do the job.
06-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Ok- I think I will purchase a Pentax DSLR.

I will be shooting a little bit of everything and transfering to a Macbook. What is very important is the clarity of action photos of my children when they are snowboarding or riding motorcycles. I want a DSLR that can produce rapid shots with the available camera settings...
Marc is absolutely correct. The K2000 is a perfectly capable camera. I do want to caution though regarding action shooting with either the K20D or K2000. While there are plenty of examples of action sports, motorsports, and such on this site, conventional wisdom and my personal experience is that Pentax autofocus does not excel for this kind of shooting. If your planned strategy is to "spray and pray" with burst mode and continuous AF, be prepared for a lot of out of focus shots. Old school technique (pre-focus and anticipate) works better.

Having issued that caution, I have to balance it by saying that I am not sure that the competing products from Nikon or Canon can do much better in the price range of the K20D or K2000. Any two system shooters reading this comment are free to contradict at this point and offer moderately priced solutions that are well-suited for action shooting. Ditto for anyone who regularly shoots with Pentax and is happy with the AF performance when tracking fast action.

The important thing is for you to be happy with your purchase.

Steve
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
Now we are getting closer to what we want to do.

I have never done the "spray and pray", but that is a pretty funny saying. The other one I like is "bodies come and go, but the lenses stay the same".

I have attempted to focus, anticipate and then shoot, but I have more out of focus photos than good ones and those have been with a small digital Sony point and shoot. I'm still learning how to do that correctly.

So, which brand of DSLR would be the best for action shots? And if it is simply a manual setting on a Pentax DSLR, which one would would do the job with quality in mind?

06-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
The 24-200 is a Tokina lens...not that it matters...and will work just fine with the k20D or any other Pentax DSLR. From my personal experience using that lens with a *istDS, Samsung GX-10 and a K20D, I can tell you that it works smashingly. If you are using it on a K20 I would encourage you to use the lens stopped down at least one f/stop from wide open to get some idea of how good the lens is. Wide open...that K20D will find everything that could be wrong with that lens. Enjoy!!!
06-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

So, which brand of DSLR would be the best for action shots? And if it is simply a manual setting on a Pentax DSLR, which one would would do the job with quality in mind?
There are lots of answers to these questions. Action shots? Canon/Nikon's AF systems are speedier but Pentax is just as accurate despite the continuous focus mode having some difficulties with fast moving targets.

Overall, you simply wouldn't go wrong (if sticking with Pentax) with the K-7.
All essential elements improved over the K20D - AF in action and low-light better, 14Mp CMOS sensor with 'overhaul' from K20D's sensor.

Not quite sure I know what you mean by best quality for manual setting... all dSLRs should be fine there...
06-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and taking the time to help me out.