Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Corrupted Files

All, Has anyone experienced any of this? Can anyone help?

All, I was wondering if anyone was experiencing issues with their files when using Windows 7 RC candidate? What I mean by this is, when I save files on to my computer after shooting with my K10D randomly a picture will show up with a band through the picture (kind of looks like the banding issue with the K10D people talked about when using long exposures).
Here is why I believe it is Windows 7 causing it:
1. Open the file on another computer = ok

2. Sometimes on 7 when I open the file with PS it'll be okay other times it'll still be there

Here are some things I've tried already.
Files Look Corrupt: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The only thing I've done was to export file as jpg. When I view with Fastone or Pentax software there are no issues seen. Adobe products or when I export shows the banding (or whatever you want to call it).

Thanks for any help!

Attached Images

06-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have said some sort of card reader/USB port issue like the first dpreview post. It still sounds like that's possible.
06-27-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
All, I ran the memory diagnostics test in windows 7 rc and tested the memory sticks with memtest86+ (each stick and together) and have not gotten any errors. Passed everytime. I'm still getting errors on my pics tho. This is starting to get frustrating. Any other suggestions?

Also, I think I can rule out the card reader since I just did another import and it was different pictures that showed the banding this time.
06-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

HighYellow: the perfectly hoirzontal 'banding' you showed on your Pentax K10D wedding photo resembles very much my experience, after a few years of K10D use. On high magnification (1:1) you can actually see an an entire row [in your photo perhaps even 2 or more rows] of 'dead' pixels. This is not an imaging software or op system problem, it is an inherent flaw in the camera 's sensor or CPU.

Just to save you the headache, Pentax identied the problem as "defective logic board" .... cost of parts, labor, shipping and tax came close to 300 bucks. Didn't think it economical to start repair!
Got a replacement K20D, if you can afford it, also look into the brandnew Pentax K7.

Regards,

06-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by highyellow1 Quote
All, I ran the memory diagnostics test in windows 7 rc and tested the memory sticks with memtest86+ (each stick and together) and have not gotten any errors. Passed everytime. I'm still getting errors on my pics tho. This is starting to get frustrating. Any other suggestions?
I have 3 Transcend CF 8GB 133x with 3 different batch #. All 3 tested fine on PC no matter what I did. However, 1 of them has write error constantly on my 40D.
06-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe like dejong, this is a camera problem.

I've been running Windows 7 RC for some time now and have not ever had a problem with my photos. Course, I don't run Digital either, mine are all film shots, but scanned negs. The only other time I've seen this banding problem was with a scanner that needed to be recalibrated. Do digital cameras ever need that done?
06-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by highyellow1 Quote
Also, I think I can rule out the card reader since I just did another import and it was different pictures that showed the banding this time.
QuoteOriginally posted by dejong Quote
the perfectly hoirzontal 'banding' you showed on your Pentax K10D wedding photo resembles very much my experience, after a few years of K10D use. On high magnification (1:1) you can actually see an an entire row [in your photo perhaps even 2 or more rows] of 'dead' pixels. This is not an imaging software or op system problem, it is an inherent flaw in the camera 's sensor or CPU.
Highyellow's comments makes me believe that this banding is random on pictures imported. In other words, the image shared with us has the banding, but in further attempts at importing, that same image came in perfectly.

If different other pictures imported now show banding whereas previous imports of the same pictures did not show banding, then the camera does not seem at fault. It was even mentioned in the first post that the pictures imported onto another computer did not have the banding.

I'd say that somehow the data flow is being interrupted and is causing a corrupt file in Windows 7.