Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #16

Hello, Everyone this is my first post here.

Well after sweating about it, I bought a refurbished K200d from Best Buy and received it yesterday. I don't own any auto focus lenses yet, but one is on the way. As far as I can tell everything seems fine on it and it looks flawless.

While looking at it on the website I noticed that the warranty was 90 days for a while, then they changed it to a year. I need to check the paperwork at home to verify.

I am testing it out with a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens that I got on a Spotmatic SP at an estate sale, which I de-yellowed using a blacklight.

06-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I got the K20D from Best Buy refurbed. I'm loving it so far, haven't had any issues. It's refurbed by Pentax, not Best Buy and they included a whole card reassuring that it meets all manufacturer standards and whatnot.
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggsinator Quote
I got the K20D from Best Buy refurbed. I'm loving it so far, haven't had any issues. It's refurbed by Pentax, not Best Buy and they included a whole card reassuring that it meets all manufacturer standards and whatnot.
I am interested in the K20D refurbs. I am curious as to the extent of the refurbish. Do you know if the shutter and/or sensor have been replaced? I also wonder if the metadata would be 'cleared'.
07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I bought one from Best Buy. Have had it for about 2 weeks, taken almost 1000 photos with it. No problems whatsoever. Looks, feels, smells, acts like a brand spankin new one for way less. My buddy bought a new one a month ago and you cannot tell the difference between them.
They replace any wear parts and reset all software/firmware so it is basically "new". The quality control on refurbs is always higher because they do not want the item returning again for any reason. It costs the company more money to repair a 2nd or 3rd time than it does to just spend an extra hour or so triple checking the first repair. I always buy refurb if the option is there.

Last edited by MoparFreak69; 07-05-2009 at 03:18 PM.
07-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a used Pentax K10d from Adorama last year. It works but the display on top, and in the viewfinder don't work after a very short while. Simply turning the camera off & on again fixes it temporarily, but other than that, the camera works fine. Would I buy another used camera from them? I don't think so because the cost savings wasn't significant enough for me...
07-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
I am interested in the K20D refurbs. I am curious as to the extent of the refurbish. Do you know if the shutter and/or sensor have been replaced? I also wonder if the metadata would be 'cleared'.
Everything I've read about the factory refurbs is that they are taken through all the factory requirements and tests. They replace what isn't up to standard and are sent back out essentially "new" but they could never resell it as new since it was from an opened box. Other than that it didn't say if anything was replaced.

However this is my first DSLR and if I didn't know better I would assume it was brand spankin new. Only problem I really see with the best buy refurb is that there's only a 90 day warranty. Where if it were new it would have a 3 year warranty. But I'd much rather buy factory refurb than a straight up used item.
07-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #22
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by bethtphotos Quote
I purchased a used Pentax K10d from Adorama last year. It works but the display on top, and in the viewfinder don't work after a very short while. Simply turning the camera off & on again fixes it temporarily, but other than that, the camera works fine. Would I buy another used camera from them? I don't think so because the cost savings wasn't significant enough for me...

There is a big difference between our refurbished and used departments. The used equipment we hold in stock has been purchased from members of the public. They do, nevertheless, come with a 90 day warranty.

Refurbished items, however, are delivered to us directly by the manufacturer who has carried out the refurbishment therefore they have all been restored to the exact manufacturer specifications. Some refurbished items come with a 90-day warranty, others with a 12-month waranty.

If you ever experience a problem with a purchase from Adorama, please contact me directly.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Was going to buy a refurb K20D from best buy, but passed on it. Found a retailer that was selling the same camera brand new for $100 more. The $100 savings wasn't worth it to me.

07-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #24

I just received my refurbished K200D from Best Buy. I haven't taken any pictures or even put any batteries in it yet. It looks brand new but I noticed that the insides of the camera move when I am handling the camera. Its a definite shifting of something and wanted to know if this is normal with this camera. My ist DL has no movement when I handle it.

I have a feeling that this one is going back to Best Buy but wanted your comments.
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Music Quote
I just received my refurbished K200D from Best Buy. I haven't taken any pictures or even put any batteries in it yet. It looks brand new but I noticed that the insides of the camera move when I am handling the camera. Its a definite shifting of something and wanted to know if this is normal with this camera. My ist DL has no movement when I handle it.

I have a feeling that this one is going back to Best Buy but wanted your comments.
Music:
This actually is normal. What you feel shifiting is the shake reduction unit. There have actually been many posts about "my camera is broken! something is rattling around inside!" but it actually is the shake reduction stuff. The reason you didn't get the same on your DL is because the DL doesn't have shake reduction.

NaCl(don't know why it's not secured, when turned off, but it's not)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 07-10-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: fixed sig
07-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #26

Thanks for the information on the sliding noise. I was ready to send it back. Now I need to decide what to do with my ist DL.