Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Factory-Refurbished ?

Does anyone have any thoughts or exp[erience purchasing a "Factory-Refurbished" Pentax from a major retailer?

06-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My Dad just ordered one that should be delivered in a couple of days. I would imagine that if the camera was refurbished by Pentax, they would make sure that it meets factory specs for all new cameras, but I'll let you know as soon as he's able to give me a review.
06-19-2009, 03:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks code4conde5. I'm apprehensive about buying a used / refurbished camera, but the price makes it worth investigating. Any info is greatly appreciated!
06-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
Does anyone have any thoughts or exp[erience purchasing a "Factory-Refurbished" Pentax from a major retailer?
It would have to be safer than an eBay buy, where it is buyer beware.

06-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
This is new to me. I did not know that Pentax does factory refurbishing.
Are you sure it is done by Pentax, it comes with an original Pentax newly issued warranty?

- Bert
06-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

I got ak100d super and it came with a note from pentax, telling that they tested it. Also said this camera may have been used as a demo for their sale people. Normal pentax warranty.
06-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
This is new to me. I did not know that Pentax does factory refurbishing.
Are you sure it is done by Pentax, it comes with an original Pentax newly issued warranty?

- Bert

I only know what the product description tells me. - "This product has been refurbished by the manufacturer. " Beyond that, I don't have any way of knowing if Pentax really did or did not do the refurbishing.

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 06-19-2009 at 07:03 AM.
06-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

From my experience in the electronic industry (honestly not with cameras though) - when manufactured, there is minimal human involvement with modern electronics once they are in full production. Plus most QA departments only do spot / batch checks.

Bad / non-functional units get sent back and real people actually have to sit down, figure out what went wrong to fix or prevent future production issues, fix the actual product if economical, and get it ready to sell again as a refurb - lots of human involvement.

So a refurb having had a lot more QA and personal attention actually gets the bugs and potential problems sorted out. They usually last longer than off the shelf units.

06-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Forum Member

With very few exceptions, when given a chance, I'll buy refurbished products over new products if the product is made by a respectable manufacturer.

How I see it, you basically save money by letting someone else test drive the item for you and find the quirks. Over the years, I've bought a number of faulty, new items from stores. Of the refurbished items I've bought, I think I've only had issues with one. I agree, my refurbished items tend to last longer as well.
06-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I dropped a DA18-55 lens once. I took it back to Pentax Canada (I live close by so I just walked in). They gave me the option of buying a factory refurbished one or fixing mine. It was less expensive to buy the factory refurbished one so I did. No complaints so far. That was about 6 months ago.

Also, I'll assume that they're going to take mine and fix it, then sell it as factory refurbished.
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I worked with a major electronic manufacturer before and I don't trust refurbished sets. They were manually worked on and you won't like them if you see what they have done to the PCB boards

Not sure about lenses though
06-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've purchased 3 refurbished cameras from Adorama over the past 4 years, Each one appears to have been brand new when purchased. With heavy use (especially my daughter's, who throws around & drops her camera regularly), I've never had a problem. The salesman told me that most refurbished models purchased through reputable dealers are indeed new relabeled examples sold as refurbished as a marketing tool to move more merchandise.
I wouldn't buy one, though, without first checking it out in person, to avoid getting stuck with one that isn't quite "new".
06-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would buy factory refurbished, so long as it is really factory refurbished.
As someone has already pointed out, it is usually given more than a once over to make sure that all the quirks are repaired or fixed.
Refurbs are given more attention than brand new ones.
Some might have been returned because only of FF or BF or something minimal and once the factory gets it, it is not only that they fix or re-calibrate but looks at everything so that it won't go back to the factory again.
06-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #14

I wouldn't worry so much about the refurbishment as I would about the warranty. If you get the manufacturer's new camera warranty, I would consider that satisfactory. If you get the sellers 90 day replacement warranty (for another refurb unit?), I'd take that with a BIG grain of salt!
06-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I wouldn't buy one, though, without first checking it out in person, to avoid getting stuck with one that isn't quite "new".

That rules out any and all Pentax DSLRs for me. Not a single, local store or camera dealer has them on the shelf. The camera store doesn't deal in them at all (only Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus DSLR's). The only way for me to buy one it to order it on-line or over the phone and have it delivered.

This has been the main obstacle to purchasing one for me. I'd really prefer to buy from the local camera store. I even bought my FZ28 from them.

Thanks to everybody for the thoughts about the "factory refurbished" cameras.

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 06-19-2009 at 04:45 PM.