Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Autofocus problems with DA*16/50 and K100D Super

Hello everybody,
I have a K100D Super and a DA* 16/50 lens and I can no longer get the lens to autofocus. I tried the lens on my K110D and the autofocus works fine (sans SDM). Today I tried the kit 18/55 lens on my K100D Super and the autofocus works fine. Last time I used the DA* 16/50 lens on my K100D Super was about 2 weeks ago and the autofocus and SDM worked flawlessly. Did I accidently press something? I read through the manual and I can find nothing. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance!

So when I press the shutter half-way to autofocus, the lens does nothing.

Setting on the lens - AF
Setting on the camera - AF

Juan

06-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you manual focus it? Do you hear anything like the camera is trying to focus? Do you have the MF/AF switch turned to autofocus on the lens? Those are the things I would start with. You could clean the contacts, both on the lens and the camera as well.
06-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Rondec,
Yes I can manual focus. I don't hear anything when I press the shutter button down, I can't even take a picture unless I have either the lens on MF or the camera on MF. Yes I have the AF set on both the camera and the lens. I tried cleaning the contacts and still nothing.

Below is what I can do.
K110 D body with 18/55 kit lens, auto focus without problem.
K110 D body with 16/50 DA* lens, auto focus without problem, but of course no SDM since K110 D does not support it.

K100 D Super with 18/55 kit lens, auto focus without problem.
K100 D Super with 16/50 DA* lens, auto focus does not work. No movement in the lens.

So to me it appears that maybe my 16/50 DA* lens has a bad SDM autofocus. 2 weeks ago (last time I used it) the SDM autofocusing was working with out issue. I bought the lens and the K100 D Super at a Ritz camera that closed down about a 6 weeks ago, so I think my only option is to try to warranty the camera or lens with Pentax.
06-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another problem with SDM? Kind of scares me to actually go SDM... although the twin zoom seems to be the ones that most often have this problem.

Hopefully it can be resolved without a trip to Pentax!

06-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You need two more tests to fully clarify the situation.
Find someone with SDM camera and see if the AF works. Get another SDM lens and try with your camera.
Then you can be pretty sure if it is the lens or camera.

In the mean while try to remember or think of anything that has changed in your camera configuration after the last time SDM worked.
Any new accessories (batteries, grip, flash, SD card, UV filter), camera configuration, used some new, odd lens. Sometimes you can get very surprised about what things can influence each other.
Try to isolate what exactly is missing in AF operation.. does the AF confirms if you turn it manually with AF enabled or it is completely dead?

Last edited by ytterbium; 06-20-2009 at 11:14 AM.
06-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try cleaning the sdm contacts on both the camera and lens. You can do this either with a firm pencil eraser (but don't press too hard), if you'd rather go the more cautious approach a microfibre cloth and some isopropyl alcohol.

This won't help if either the lens or body has failed, but there have been some posters who simply had dirty contacts and cleaning helped.

A final note on the use of a pencil eraser - when you clean the body contacts, hold the body with the mount opening facing down so that any rubber shavings fall out rather than into the camera.
06-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies

ytterbium:
I will try to go to Ritz camera today and see if they have an SDM lens in stock for me to try with my camera. I will also have them try my SDM lens with one of their cameras. I am trying to remember what has changed since last time and at this time I can only think of the menu system changes. I was playing with the menu last time I remember and I tried resetting everything back to defaults but still no luck. That is what I was initially hoping the problem was (me checking/changing the wrong item in the menu). We will see. Thanks for your suggestions.

cpopham:
I tried cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser (and I held the mount opening facing down). Still no luck. I also use a microfiber towel and that didn't work either. Thank you for your suggestions.

Everyone has been so kind on the board, thank you all for your help. I will report back when I get back from Ritz Camera. I am mostly bummed out because we were taking a vacation in a few days and I was hoping to use my new lens and camera.

Juan
06-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jotarou1 Quote
Everyone has been so kind on the board, thank you all for your help. I will report back when I get back from Ritz Camera.
Sorry nothing helped Hopefully you are able to get a speedy resolution from Ritz!

06-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably not going to help but what the heck ...

Put fresh batteries in the K100D Super , mount lens with power off then turn camera on.
06-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
It's a bad lens!

Well I went into Ritz this afternoon and I tried their display DA* on my camera and it worked without issue. Silent SDM and all. So it must be my lens that is the culprit. I am going on vacation to Colorado and I am trying to decide between the following:

Take my K110 D and the DA* 16/50, DA 55/200, and a Quantaray 70-300

or

Take my K100 D Super and the kit 18/55, DA 55/200, and a Quantaray 70-300

I think option 1 might be better,but I may just pack both cameras. The K100 D Super would be better with the zoom lenses, but the K110 D would be better with the wide angle.

Everyone, thanks again for the suggestions. I was hoping it was something that I did and could easily remedied. But it looks like I will have to send it in to Pentax. Has anybody ever dealt with Pentax support? How long does servicing take? I can't believe the lens went bad in less than 6 weeks :-(

Juan
06-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry to hear that the SDM died on you.
Anyway, why do you want totake both 50-200 and 70-300?
I'd skip the shorter one and have K110 + 16-50 and K100DS + 70-300
my 2p
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
Got a new lens in the mail today

I guess Pentax was not able to fix my SDM lens so they sent me a different one back (still a DA* 16/50, but a different serial number). Just received it today. They received my lens on 8/5/2009 and I received it today 9/2/2009. New lens comes with a full 1 year warranty.
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aren't you fortunate to get that kind of service!