Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

couple noob questions

I currently am using a K100 and an *IST D (the original one from 2003) The *IST as my main and the K100 as my backup (both were brand new leftovers bought at wolf camera a few months back under $200 a pop) and Im currious if anybody had some tips for getting colors right with the saturation/contrast controls or if it was just a trial and error thing.

My other question, I learned how to use an SLR years back with an old K1000 (I miss that camera) and wanted to get back into a camera that used film just for the nestalgia value. Is $120 a fairly good deal for a lightly used ZX-50 and a tamron 28-80 and Sigma 70-210 lens's? Any recomendations on good ISO 200 film? or should I be shooting with 400? (I plan on using the film camera mostly outdoors for scenic shots, I tend to normaly have the digi's at 200, but occasionaly use a 400 setting)

Thanks Everyone
Adam

06-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Color perception is a pretty subjective thing. If you want to shoot JPEG and not PP, then yes, trial and error with the in-camera settings to get the results you personally happen to prefer in any given situation is the only way to go. After all, if there were a one-size-fits-all best solution that worked for all people in all situations, those would just be the defaults, with no reason for pentax to even provide options. Really, if you care about fine disticntions like thst, you're better off adjusting these things in PP, ideally shooting RAW. It's way faster and easier than messing with changing camera controls all the time to try to get clsoe to the results you want.

Curious that you're using the camera without SR as your main camera and the SR camera as backup. If it's primarily about size, there's nothing to be done about that. If it's about viewfinder size, you might consider the O-ME53 magnifying eyecup, which will make the k100D more comparable to the *istD in that respect.

I have no insight into the film quesitons, sorry.
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
As far as the IST over the 100, I dont need the shake reduction with the high shutter speeds that I use, even with the long focal lengths that I generaly use. The IST has more function buttons on it however than the K100 does, like the seperate Arpeture and shutter speed dials rather than having to use an extra button to go into arpeture adjustment mode as the 100 does.

There are pro's and cons to both cameras and I acctualy use both cameras about equaly but I call the 100 my backup camera because I do prefer the IST, I find the pictures look better with the IST as well (as far as saturation and even the crispness of the photos seem better, colors seem more true and the 100 just seems to over saturate the dirt) The IST just feels better in my hands even though I know there the same.
06-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K100D may have been the only Pentax reviewed by dpreview.com that they did not complain about the default JPEG settings. Pentax typically chooses conservative settings and intends for the user to decide on their own preferences.

That's an OK price for a camera and two lenses, but nothing spectacular, and the items are fairly ordinary. You could probably do better, possibly some faster lenses to widen your film choices. The ZX-50 will only use KA or newer series lenses which is limiting. More information here on film:

Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

And check out the recently started camera review section, though most models are unreviewed.

06-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose I'd agree with LMRacing making the *ist D his primary body.
Although the e-dials aren't customisable, there is that added versatility it has over the K100D with the extra dial and button settings on the body, ultimately with the same image quality. As mentioned above, shooting JPEGs is tricky trying to get the results you want straight out of camera.