Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #1

Firmware for K200

Hi Guys...how to check the firmware version on the K200D....and are their any upgrades so far...I checked the Pentax website but did not find anything....

06-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
Unfortunately there have not been any firmware updates or functionality improvements for the K200D. So no need to check the firmware version!
06-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Any issues?
06-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No problems, but I can think of a couple of very simple improvements that could be made:

- allowing ISO to be settable without looking at the LCD (easiest way to implement - use the *exact* same menu structure as now, but simply show the results in the viewfinder!

- putting recently used focal lengths at the fron of the SR menu (or providing a way to create a custom focal length list), to make changing manual primes faster

- of course, lots of people wish for AF fine adjustment

06-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No problems, but I can think of a couple of very simple improvements that could be made:

- allowing ISO to be settable without looking at the LCD (easiest way to implement - use the *exact* same menu structure as now, but simply show the results in the viewfinder!
Hi Marc - can't you do this by reconfiguring your OK button? (#12 cf menu) - it changes the # of shots left in the viewfinder and replaces it with the ISO.

My pet peeve would be to show the number of shots/erase these - I had a card I was using in my *IstDS and it copied the number of shots to the K200D. So went from 1 to 6400ish!
06-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Hi Marc - can't you do this by reconfiguring your OK button? (#12 cf menu)
OK, you can *display* the ISO, but if you want to actually *change* it, you need to enter the Fn menu, and as soon as you do, the viewfinder blanks, so you need to look at the LCD. It's actually not that big a deal in practice - all you *really* have to do is move the camera an couple of inches from your face and you can kind of see the LCD well enough.

QuoteQuote:
My pet peeve would be to show the number of shots/erase these - I had a card I was using in my *IstDS and it copied the number of shots to the K200D. So went from 1 to 6400ish!
I forget the details, but I'm pretty sure there is an option you can set that controls file numbering that could help.
06-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, you can *display* the ISO, but if you want to actually *change* it, you need to enter the Fn menu, and as soon as you do, the viewfinder blanks, so you need to look at the LCD. It's actually not that big a deal in practice - all you *really* have to do is move the camera an couple of inches from your face and you can kind of see the LCD well enough.

I forget the details, but I'm pretty sure there is an option you can set that controls file numbering that could help.
Fair enough. Display is a nice to have, changes would be better. It's clear that it is possible given that dial changes in Sv mode are reflected in the viewfinder.

No, the numbering thing has disappeared from the menu on the K200d. You can choose the whether to record the file # on the exif, and what the folder is called, but not see the number of pictures and clear this as appropriate.

06-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #8

You can reset the file number in the Record menu, Memory -> File No., although you'll have to change it back afterward to keep a sequential count. See page 213 in the manual.
06-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #9

I'd like to see the saved picture numbering continue on when I change SD cards.

Is this possible?

.-.-.
06-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
You can reset the file number in the Record menu, Memory -> File No., although you'll have to change it back afterward to keep a sequential count. See page 213 in the manual.
Hi, thanks for the post. I didn't make the link between the number and the folder. That's kind of where I was going, although it still means you don't know exactly how many actuations your camera has taken.

It is interesting that you may set the folder to the date, and record from image zero on that date. I wish there was calendar view support in camera like other brands - I still use the TV to display to family every now and again.

@vk4akp - If you set the folder to PENTX (in setup tab of the menu), and click on the check box of the File no. in the Record menu tab (under memory), then the numbering should continue to increment upwards with whichever card you place into the camera.
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Hi,
Unfortunately there have not been any firmware updates or functionality improvements for the K200D. So no need to check the firmware version!
It's a great pity. I was hoping that with firmware update it will be possible to make FF/BF correction in debug mode
07-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaltarrr Quote
It's a great pity. I was hoping that with firmware update it will be possible to make FF/BF correction in debug mode
Somebody is trying to do some hack here in the forums much like the Canon CHDK before.
This is actually great news as usually something like this is sometimes better than a firmware upgrade.
I'm familiar with this 'coz I have the Canon S3 IS and all the CHDK hack where cool without actually changing the firmware of the camera thus no harm to the warranty too!