Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wide Angle Primes?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie. I've been shooting with the Super Takumar 50mm for the last few months with my "new" *ist DS. It's been a great learning experience.

As I'm getting to know what 50mm can do, I'm starting to think it'll be nice to acquire a wide angle lens. It'll be used for doing landscape, and maybe inside churches and buildings for interior shots, which are very difficult with the 50mm at 1.5x on a DSLR.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking of getting a used 28mm, either a M42 option, or a M or A lens. MF is fine. I just need it cheap, like below US$50. I see that anything under 28mm is very expensive, and anything over 35mm is just not really wide angle on a DSLR.

Or maybe the 18-55 kit lens offers comparable quality to these primes?

Your help will be most appreciated!

Thanks.

06-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your budget plan, I guess nothing can beat a used kit lens (18-55). Of course, it will not give you super sharp shots but for sure, can do very nice images even blown up to 11 x 14 inches.
06-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

28mm isn't particularly wide on a Pentax DSLR, either, but it's actually as wide as I really feel like shooting "most" of the time, so I do like my M28/2.8. I find it a great focal length for landscape, but it won't be nearly wide enough for church interiors - just for individual sections of the church. You're better off with the 18-55 if you want an inexpensive wide angle lens. Either should be available used for around $50.
06-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want something wider, you can use the zenitar 16mm.
It would set you back around $160 plus though.
It has somekind of a fisheye effect but not too much.

06-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The 18-55 kit lens can be a remarkably sharp lens for the price. I've got some great pictures from mine at all lengths, including maximum wide angles. The only problem is in low-light, since it has a pretty small maximum aperture. I also have a (used) M2.8 which is nice for lower light, but honestly I can't see much difference in IQ otherwise. I have a nice secondhand Sigma 24-60/2.8 that beats them, but that was more expensive even used (a bargain at $100). I agree with Marc, neither would be ideal for normal church interiors, since even 24 mm can often be not wide enough there.

Unless there are wondrous lenses in screw-mount, my impression is that you have to make a big jump up price-wise to markedly improve the picture quality ( I love my 35/2.8 Limited). I'd vote for the kit lens (used).
06-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm also a newbie and I love my K100DS. I too started off with the kit lens (18-55) and frankly, it isn't a bad lens

If you take it's build and optical qualities into consideration, I can assure you, it is the best value for money lens!

I am sure, if the 18-55 isn't a kit lens and if you are to buy it alone, you will definitely have to fork out 3 times more money for it

Just like any other lenses, and that includes the expensive 'best' lenses, it has it's limitations. You need only shoot more with it to understand them. The 18-55 can also surprise you
06-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
iht
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

I got the answer! Thanks!

It's interesting how the lens review here rates the newer version quite a bit higher than the original version. I take it Marc's $50 estimate is based on the original version.
06-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

get the newer version if you can, but don't sweat it if you cannot. if you want to go ultrawide later, for cheap, keep in mind the zenitar (mentioned above), but i tend to agree: the kit lens should do for now. both versions of the kit lens are more than adequate, and the 18mm wide end, after shooting a 50mm for a while, will be enough of a challenge for now (you will see, shooting wide is hard, especially composition and the like, you need to change your mindset completely to use a wideangle effectively, imho)

have fun

06-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are still after decently wide prime, then have a look at MF versions of Sigma 24/2.8 super wide II. it's perhaps 2x your budget but it's a great little lens.

BR
Peter